Input on programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future EM?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... determining one's rank list has a lot of factors, but it'd be helpful to get other's perspectives on the programs themselves. I'd really appreciate any input on these programs:
-Resurrection
-North Shore
-Washington University/Barnes
-Beaumont
-Stanford
-U of Chicago

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, did not apply or interview at any of those. just trying to decrease the view to postless ratio. good luck

thanks for the reply...

How about just in general.. what do you guys think about going to a community program? It seems that right now the job market is pretty wide open. But what about 10-15 years done the road? As EM becomes a more respected and established specialty, won't you be better off carrying a university or more well known program's name vs community? Or, does it really not matter? (of course, this is only a minor factor in deciding, and ultimately, I'll choose where i'd be most happy).. just curious, any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the community program you may limit your ability to get a job in academics after residency, although if you are flexible geographically and willing to work hard (or possibly do a fellowship) you should be fine. A huge number of EDs throughout the country have non-EM residency trained physicians (or moonlighters) working in them (although mainly in rural areas,) these places would presumably prefer an EM-trained doc. Couple that to the general increase in ED volumes nationwide and I doubt jobs will be a problem; it does not seem that the residencies are flooding the market right now and I doubt they will allow that to happen.

The only one of those I interviewed at was Beaumont. I think it's a great community program with huge volume (and a nifty CD to remind you about what they said during the slideshow) but I would rather not live in Michigan. I do know people who are in the program and are extremely happy though.

While I was at the Univ of MD, I talked to a PGY-3 who was looking at jobs. He said he talked to several recruiters/analysts who said that the job market will continue to stay the way it is (read: AWESOME) for another 4 years, after that it will die down considerably (since the specialty is so young). So that means all of us that are applying/interviewing now, should be pretty safe, Yippee! Of course, remember that who knows what the market will be like, so its all up in the air.
Q

Wait, the job market is supposed to "die down considerably" in 4 years, and you're saying, "Yippee!" I'll be finishing EM residency in 3-4 years (I'm a 4th-year med student now), so in your best-case scenario, I'll have only one "AWESOME" year in the job market. It's all "die down"hill "considerably" from there, per your forecast.

That's depressing, man. That friggin' sucks. And if I do a 4-yr program, I'll miss out on the AWESOME time altogether.

Please explain your exultancy.

Perhaps I should have said the "market for new jobs." The salary and what not will likely not change, but from what that resident told me (and from what I've heard from a lot of 2nd and 3rd year residents) is that the job market is very good right now, and you can pretty much go anywhere (except for saturated fields like Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver). It is expected to stay that way for about 4 more years. Which means by the time we're applying for jobs (4th year students now), hopefully the market will still be good.

Yippee!

Stanford seemed pretty good. No real gaps in the program. However, the Stanford ED didn't seem very busy, the commutes were nuts, and the Cost of Living is out of this world. But at least there's an orchestra playing in the lobby every day.

Here's what I remember from interviewing at these programs

Resurrection: Relatively new program with good reputation. U/S training is a definite plus here, you'll see plenty of cardiac cases as they cover a large polish population. It seems that when they have CP they tend to have MI's. Residents and Attending are a great group, very down to earth and interested in teaching.

Northshore: Beautiful new ED, Residents and attendings were great to talk too, seems like they are a very social group. Not to far from manhattan.

Beaumont: High volume, nice community program seems like you see a lot on both off and on service mos. Remind me of christ out in chucago

Interviewed at 2 of those.

Resurrection: I was pleasantly surprised by this program. Residents are very happy, great mix of clinical exposure, they give you a fat food allowance ($360 per month: one resident brings his family in for meals frequently), tons and tons of procedures, trauma at Cook Co and Mount Sinai, not in downtown Chicago, decent schedule because they're busy enough to give you great training with a managable schedule (Duke and Stanford have schedules that allow very little life outside the hospital). Overall great program. Also, the reason they didn't fill last year is because they only ranked 40 applicants (that's what the PD told us), not because they are a weak program. The only downfall is geography.

Stanford: Happy residents, too many hours as I just found out (my thoughts are that I would rather be at a program where the shifts are a busy 10 hours (so you can have a life outside the hospital and still get great training) than at a program where the shifts are long and boring (so you have no life and mediocre training): not saying all the hospitals they rotate at are boring, but the Stanford ED was quite slower than other ED's I saw), commute is bad, great area but you better be a millionaire or you'll be staying at the millionaires club shelter and still paying $2000 per month, great research opportunities, Division of Surgery still, just got 5 year accreditation, awesome name and probably terrific job opportunities, great didactics. So, it really depends on your priorities for a residency. Resurrection would be a better place to train for ED than Stanford, but Stanford is Stanford.

Beaumont is a really nice place, solid program, nice residents, much cheaper place to live than Chicago.