Employment & Professional Networking Inpatient Rehab in Pediatrics for Fieldwork/Employment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTD2020

Reaction score
I'm in my 2nd semester of an OTD program and having a little crisis. I have been strongly interested in working in inpatient OT, likely an inpatient rehab floor or acute care. During my courses, I have not clicked with any area so far except pediatrics. I do not enjoy working with kids as I am not familiar/don't have a lot of experience with them and always assumed I would work with older adults. Yet the coursework is coming very easily to me and I find myself enjoying pediatric much more than adults.

I know I'm still early on (graduation is April 2023), but I wondered if there is a possibility to work inpatient pediatrics in a similar setting? We haven't talked much about pediatrics apart from the school setting or an outpatient clinic so I was wondering if this is a possibility or if it is a more "niche" area without as much opportunity for fieldwork or employment.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! One of my fellow classmates did her level 1 fieldwork at a local children’s hospital and frequently visited their inpatient rehab setting, so it definitely exists!

Hi! One of my fellow classmates did her level 1 fieldwork at a local children’s hospital and frequently visited their inpatient rehab setting, so it definitely exists!
Thanks so much! Good to know!

Reactions: 1 user