Army Inpatient Psychiatry Billets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joob

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an Army psychiatry resident and am wanting to work as an attending on an inpatient ward after I graduate. I was shocked to find out that a large base like Ft. Bragg does not have an inpatient unit. I know that Leonardwood, Walter Reed, Triple, Hood, Wainwright have inpatient psychiatric wards, does anybody know what other bases have one as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an Army psychiatry resident and am wanting to work as an attending on an inpatient ward after I graduate. I was shocked to find out that a large base like Ft. Bragg does not have an inpatient unit. I know that Leonardwood, Walter Reed, Triple, Hood, Wainwright have inpatient psychiatric wards, does anybody know what other bases have one as well?

MAMC & SAMMC

I too find it puzzling that Womack doesn't have an inpatient ward, given the number of Soldiers I refer to ours after they're medically stabilized from their OD w/ SI.

FT Bliss does, and El Paso is really not as bad as everyone says...

It WAS that bad 15 years ago, but I understand that since then the post has seen significant change. Has the cross-border violence improved?

I'd wait at least until the new hospital is built...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I spoke with some of my attendings regarding Bragg's facilities and nobody could say for certain, so I just called down to Womack and got the number for the inpatient ward from information, so apparently they do have inpatient facilities. I suppose I should check up on some of the stuff I hear more often.

It WAS that bad 15 years ago, but I understand that since then the post has seen significant change. Has the cross-border violence improved?

I'd wait at least until the new hospital is built...

The section of post where my clinic is located was desert when I moved here in 2010. I forget the stats, but I think they were saying the post has more than doubled in size since then. There's a brand new, gorgeous PX/outdoor mall, but I try to avoid Soldiers when I'm off-duty. I LOVE the weather, and the Juarez nonsense doesn't affect the US side much unless you're in border patrol (insert stats where they claim that EP is the safest city of its size in the US). The most frequent complaint that I hear from my Soldiers is that "there's nothing to do", but their "options" are based solely on clubbing opportunities downtown. If you're single and searching, I hear that pickings are slim... There's lots of mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing (again, it NEVER rains), and Carlsbad caverns is a couple of hours away, mountain skiing town in New Mexico is another two hours away. I have loved my time in El Paso. It definitely grows on you.

That said, they are building a new hospital, and I hear that it is being constructed without much foresight or consideration to what the medical community is requesting, so it's probably going to be your typical Army CF, but I wouldn't think it would affect psych too much. Mostly the surgeons complaining about location of OR, ICU, recovery, etc...