Inpatient Acute Rehab Salaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPhysiatry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, currently looking at the job market, what are some expected salaries for new grads looking to get into acute rehabilitation?

Members don't see this ad.

300k-450k. Depends on location and desperation of the facility. Cities in certain markets are less.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont really see a difference between new grad and old grad with exception to the number of rvu generated due to efficiency. I can see more patients quicker than when I first started. The big hospital systems I have interviewed or worked for all paid the same per RVU regardless of who generated them when it comes to IPR. Many PMR docs contract with hospitals such as the Encompass model and will direct bill medicare and the other insurances. They pay per code, not per experience. Now Im sure someone out there has probably seen a place that this is not the case, but I have yet to encounter it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Employed? For a new grad? That seems like a pretty high salary for employed/not a director/associated director.
It was a mean of $270k about 5 years ago, and salaries have seemingly taken off since then. I know some making considerably higher than $450k

Depends what you are looking for...

VA will have the lowest starting salary somewhere between 210-260K with benefits.

Academics will vary depending on the location and institution. I'd estimate a range from 220 - 280 starting salary with benefits and option for wRVU bonus depending of the institution.

Employed practice will likely offer you 260-300K with benefits and option for wRVU bonus.

Independent practice is up to you. You could work extremely hard and make over a million a year. You pay for all your billing, collections, insurance arrange any benefits. If you really wanted to, you could run a 40 bed hospital by yourself and be medical director. Would probably have to work 6-7 days per week and put in 12-14+ hours per day. Otherwise, normal people make a salary based on what they see, bill and collect. Avg 350-500K then take out collections, retirement and expenses.

I can give you some example offers I have had since out of residency with in the last 1-4 years:
- suburban city: 300K base + 45 wRVU over ~7000. 1:2 or 1:3 call. No IM support.
- rural: 290K includes medical director. Small unit. 1:2 call. No ability to collect over.
- academic city: 260K base
- Encompass health: 240K base guarantee until collections exceed base. 1:3 call with ED admits. 1099 model. 16-20 census. No benefits.
- US Physiatry in city: 260K with benefits. 1:3 call with 20 patient census. Option for 1099 model, but they take 20%.

I currently am academic at a different institution than the offer above. But the benefits and salary add up greater than 300K with excellent retirement and good work/life balance.

I'd also agree that some of the above starting salaries seem quite high to me. Employed models are not typically going to offer you above 50% MGMA especially if they want you to produce. They will likely offer you 40-50% MGMA and twill pay you wRVU for producing higher. If you go for this model, you will want a higher wRVU payment.

There is a job that's been posted on practice link for over a year offering 375+ in rural midwest. Usually things like that sound better than they really are, but there are definitely some outliers to my above post.

I forgot, but also had an offer from a Florida IPR group. Was < 300K with no option to produce higher and I think 16-20 census and 1:4 call.

Employed? For a new grad? That seems like a pretty high salary for employed/not a director/associated director.
Employed and new grad. Some facilities are desperate. But usually in less desirable locations.

Depends what you are looking for...

VA will have the lowest starting salary somewhere between 210-260K with benefits.

Academics will vary depending on the location and institution. I'd estimate a range from 220 - 280 starting salary with benefits and option for wRVU bonus depending of the institution.

Employed practice will likely offer you 260-300K with benefits and option for wRVU bonus.

Independent practice is up to you. You could work extremely hard and make over a million a year. You pay for all your billing, collections, insurance arrange any benefits. If you really wanted to, you could run a 40 bed hospital by yourself and be medical director. Would probably have to work 6-7 days per week and put in 12-14+ hours per day. Otherwise, normal people make a salary based on what they see, bill and collect. Avg 350-500K then take out collections, retirement and expenses.

I can give you some example offers I have had since out of residency with in the last 1-4 years:
- suburban city: 300K base + 45 wRVU over ~7000. 1:2 or 1:3 call. No IM support.
- rural: 290K includes medical director. Small unit. 1:2 call. No ability to collect over.
- academic city: 260K base
- Encompass health: 240K base guarantee until collections exceed base. 1:3 call with ED admits. 1099 model. 16-20 census. No benefits.
- US Physiatry in city: 260K with benefits. 1:3 call with 20 patient census. Option for 1099 model, but they take 20%.

I currently am academic at a different institution than the offer above. But the benefits and salary add up greater than 300K with excellent retirement and good work/life balance.
I just went through job hunt and will add another model to the above listed that I saw at 4 places I interviewed on the phone. These were all Texas/midwest medium to large cities as that was market I was looking for myself

All were a pure production model based off a set amount for wRVU and paid as W2 so you received benefits such as 401k match, health insurance, etc that are typical with any W2 jobs. As I said in my first post they paid the same if you have 0 years or 25 years.

Starting guarantee ranging from 295k-315k and if exceeded then you got the bonus and could come off guarantee whenever you wanted.

wRVU range at 3 places $58-62 per unit and at 4th was $47 per unit.

At the 3 good rates(seriously just laugh and walk away from $47 unit company) from my experience with competent notes/billing and a census of 15-20 average you should be in that $300-400k range easily, probably right in the middle of it. They give you minimum as its easy to hit and they wont lose money.

Reactions: 2 users
BTW can you send me those 450k employeed inpatient jobs?

• Haha
  • Haha
What exactly are the benefits of working at the VA? Do they make up for the lower salary?

If you enjoy boredom, benefits, job security, low pay the VA is for you.
Haha that’s accurate. I’m actually leaving the VA next week. I think it’s a good place for someone at the end of their career who wants a slower pace. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions @pandemic_medic