Informing #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAGman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
once we've submitted our rank lists, is it worth it to inform our #1 that they're #1? or is it better to have a faculty member, dean, or someone along those lines make a call for you? anyone have the cold hard facts or been advised regarding this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding of the process, most programs have already determined their ranklists long before we submit our ranklist--most actually convene right after the interview day so that the interviewees are fresh in their minds. I would assume that one would have a very slim chance of altering the ranklist of any program this late in the game. The time to make a program aware of your intentions would have been at the interview which I understand for some is nearly impossible given that you haven't interviewed everywhere yet.

Good luck with the match, and don't worry it will be over soon enough. :)

At Iowa, we score all applicants on the same day of their interview. This will provide an average score used for the ranking after the last interview day. After tonight, the ranking is set and modified to its final form. We may move applicants up and down tonight, but then it is pretty much set unless the Chairman or Program Director (Keith Carter) wants someone to be placed in a specific position. If you're not happy, then just blame Dr. Carter! ;) Therefore, your ranking of our program, has no influence on the program's ranking of you.

Good luck to all who applied to Iowa. It was a pleasure meeting you all! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point (1 week before we submit our rank lists), have most programs submitted their rank lists already? Is that is it too late for someone (ie. chairman of my school) to make a phone call to my number one choice? Would it make any difference at all now?

orbitmd said:
At this point (1 week before we submit our rank lists), have most programs submitted their rank lists already? Is that is it too late for someone (ie. chairman of my school) to make a phone call to my number one choice? Would it make any difference at all now?

Welcome to the forum! :D

It may help some if you're one of the candidates being considered. It may bump you up to a position that will allow you to match at the program.

At Iowa, we meet one final time before submitting the final rank list, and applicants can move up and down on the rank list. Our meeting is later this week.

Good luck!