Information on Moonlighting as an IM resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1117200

Hello all, I was browsing Reddit and found an incredible guide on Contract Negotiation. I since have been searching for something similar about Moonlighting as a resident and/or fellow and ave come up short. I was wondering if anyone had any resources, insight, or information they could share with me about moonlighting? Particularly in Internal Medicine. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

as an IM resident

1. internal moonlighting
Generally midlevel/resident shifts at your own institution. Do not usually need a full state medical license. Often reimbursed at midlevel hourly rate or slightly below.

2. external moonlighting
Will require a full state medical license, which depending on your grad status (USMD vs IMG) and state, requires 1-3 years of residency to qualify for. Also usually requires a individual DEA license (not the one you get through your residency institution), state controlled substance license, etc. These jobs can be difficult to find during residency since most employers want you to be board eligible/certified, which you won't be until completing 3 years of IM residency. Depending on location may be able to find urgent care work. There are gigs doing physicals for medicare patients that often pay ok.

as an IM fellow

1. internal/external moonlighting
Get your full state medical license, DEA license, etc. Most locations will have options to pick up hospitalist work (admissions, day wards, etc), reimbursed at geographic rates for IM (usually somewhere between $150-200/hr). Most employers will supply malpractice insurance. Generally looking at nights or weekend days, as most GME offices don't allow picking up shifts during weekdays since that is the time they're paying you for.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all, I was browsing Reddit and found an incredible guide on Contract Negotiation. I since have been searching for something similar about Moonlighting as a resident and/or fellow and ave come up short. I was wondering if anyone had any resources, insight, or information they could share with me about moonlighting? Particularly in Internal Medicine. Thank you all!
Are you still a med student? If so it's probably too early to plan for this. Clinical moonlighting availability and feasibility during residency is largely program dependent. Your residency program must first allow moonlighting, and many out there don't (though this usually only refers to clinical work; many residents will get involved in various types of non-clinical work on the side depending on their background and skillsets, and program directors are usually less picky about doing non-clinical work as long as it doesn't affect your primary residency responsibilities). And if they do allow it, the opportunities can be very transient depending on staffing needs of your institution (especially if you're only sticking to internal opportunities). Technically, clinical moonlighting work also has to be reported in your duty hours and counts toward your 80 hr ACGME duty limit as well. So it's only feasible on lighter rotations or vacation weeks. Depending on how busy your residency program is, that will limit how much moonlighting your can realistically do. And mentioned above, it can divided into internal or external opportunities (and the internal ones at your home institution are usually much more easy to get set up).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if you are a fellow and you moonlight IM, do you have to present to the attending, if youre IM boarded already?
asking for a friend