Information on Hong Kong, Looking to be in HK for Good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ih371990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting this thread to fill in on little details on HK that may be of interest to prospective pre-meds that may want to consider medical education in HK or a career/life in HK. As I am not from HK, I have many questions about HK. And, as one who is looking to live a life in HK for good, I'm on a search for answers. I hope people who are on a similar journey in their life can share their experiences and knowledge here. I shall begin with some of my own pressing questions.

What's the average/standard pay for general practitioners in HK? How is that pay comparable to the typical household in HK? How expensive are the costs of living in HK? i.e. housing, food, utilities, car, children's education, medical insurance, etc?

What is the medical environment for new medical doctors? For example, is it difficult to find a satisfactory position/residency (i.e. what types of specialties are most competitive and difficult to get in and how many spots generally are open, etc)? What sort of concerns do new doctors or medical students encounter in regarding to their career in HK?

Also, if anyone cares to explain, what and how does the healthcare system work in HK? For example, is there any healthcare insurance policy and coverage? How do patients and doctors usually interact (I only have experience in the US and Taiwan)?

Lastly, what is it like to live in HK? What are the tax rates? Are there mandatory retirement funds? Is housing/real estate/property a big concern for new graduates? Is public transportation well organized, if any exists? I guess just anything that is characteristic of HK that people should be aware of before making a life in HK.

I'm still trying to find answers for these questions while coming up with new ones. I'll keep posted once I find anything interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.expatarrivals.com/hong-kong/moving-to-hong-kong

Key things about Hong Kong:
-Crowded and cramped
-Housing is expensive
-Modern city, great public transportation, awesome healthcare system, and good schools for children.
-Crime rates are low, safe city.

Accommodations/Housing:
Housing in/near Central will be most expensive, and Hong Kong Island tends to be pricier as well. Most apartments/housing will be quite small, as the population density is so enormous it's quite ridiculous. Luckily, newer housing are constantly being built. (The website pretty much explains everything). Go check it out!

Lifestyle:
Cost of living is quite expensive. Quite typical city lifestyle. There's great transportation to get around easily, although it can easily get quite expensive if you are moving around a great deal. Also, it seems like getting helpers to help out is a pretty standard thing in HK.

Education:
There are plenty of international schools located in HK but costs are quite high. There is free education for state-run schools.

Healthcare:
It's free if public, but pricey if private. Probably need some sort of insurance.

Income Tax:
It's about 2-17%.