Info on USMLE scores and residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rformd_student

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites or books that have statistics on USMLE scores, averages, minimum cutoffs, etc for the various residency programs. I haven't really been able to find a thorough breakdown and the individual programs that I'm interested all seem to say something to the effect of "we look for competitive USMLE scores".
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you won't find that information. what specialty are you applying for?

More importantly, why do you care? What, just because some book tells you that MGH only accepts people with a USMLE score of 300000, you won't apply? The worst thing that could possibly happen -- the WORST thing -- is some secretary in the residency office laughs at your application before deleting it. It's not like they schedule a field trip to your house to clown on you for two days.

what's your deal kinetic? I'm just asking a question.....what's the problem?

doc05 said:
you won't find that information. what specialty are you applying for?

I'm mostly interested in university-based internal medicine or neurology programs

rformd_student said:
I'm mostly interested in university-based internal medicine or neurology programs

my impression from talking to others and from reading this board is that university-based IM programs put much more emphasis on letters of rec and clinical academic performance (particularly in IM clerkship and Sub-I's) than on board scores. I have not heard of programs with specific cutoffs in IM, not even the top programs. If you look at the Internal Med. residency thread on here; people with USMLE scores around the national ave. from "average state med schools" are getting interviews at places like Mayo, Wash U, and Michigan. And there is more than a bit of randomness to the whole process in terms of grades, scores, etc.; I know someone who was NOT AOA at MCV, had an OK, but not spectacular research resume, no special academic awards, and still matched at BWH for categorical IM! She's one of the best residents in the program, so some of these program directors must have good judgement. Bottom line: if your Step 1 score isn't great, don't worry, you will still do well in the match in IM (prob. neuro as well, though I'm not sure) as long as the rest of your application is solid (it will also help if you go to a US school and apply to a good # of programs in the same state/geographical area as your school). my advice is prob. not 100% correct, so be sure to ask around, get several points of view..

It's always tough to say. We're used to the MSAR during college, when we can compare GPA, MCAT, etc. for different med schools. Unfortunately, for some reason or another, hospital programs are quite secretive about the board scores and attributes of their applicants/matriculants. Does it have something to do with the whole Match process, where they don't REALLY get to select their matriculants? Who knows?

There are places you can find VERY GENERAL information for each residency type, but many of these sources of just individual med schools' compilations of their graduating class's stats.

Edit: BTW, I highly doubt you'd be able to find "minimums" or "cutoffs"...otherwise, we'd all know which residencies we shouldn't even bother applying to. :)

rformd_student said:
what's your deal kinetic? I'm just asking a question.....what's the problem?

Dude, I'm just asking. I mean, I understand the whole "I'm not worthy" mentality because we all have been there. But why tell yourself that you're too sucky a candidate to apply to some place? That's my point. You might get in. And if you don't get in, it's not the end of the world.

kinetic said:
... I understand the whole "I'm not worthy" mentality because we all have been there. But why tell yourself that you're too sucky a candidate to apply to some place?

I assure you I don't have an "I'm not worthy" mentality, nor do I consider myself sucky, nor would I just because some residency director didn't accept me into their program. I'm well into the 4th decade of life and have learned a thing or two about myself. I think you may have read into my original post something that wasn't there. I was just gathering some info on residency stats and such.

rformd_student said:
I assure you I don't have an "I'm not worthy" mentality, nor do I consider myself sucky, nor would I just because some residency director didn't accept me into their program. I'm well into the 4th decade of life and have learned a thing or two about myself. I think you may have read into my original post something that wasn't there. I was just gathering some info on residency stats and such.

I don't think that anyone meant to jump on you, but the question of "what kind of board score do I need for _____________" has been asked countless times on these boards.

On a different note, consider that in the most competative specialities (ortho, neurosurg, ENT, derm) there are people with well below average board scores who match every year. These people most likely have good research and letters in their applications (not to mention stellar MS3 performance).

I like the saying that Step I doesn't open doors, it merely closes some, and that good clinical performance, research, and recommendations can pry them back open (or grease the hinges).

dry dre said:
I like the saying that Step I doesn't open doors, it merely closes some, and that good clinical performance, research, and recommendations can pry them back open (or grease the hinges).

I like that! :thumbup:

kinetic said:
More importantly, why do you care? What, just because some book tells you that MGH only accepts people with a USMLE score of 300000, you won't apply? The worst thing that could possibly happen -- the WORST thing -- is some secretary in the residency office laughs at your application before deleting it. It's not like they schedule a field trip to your house to clown on you for two days.

Man, sounds like someone got a 12 on the boards...chill man, the dude asked a legitimate question, if you don't like it, fine, don't freak out

yo man, you and the OP should chill. in fact, kinetic deserves praise for his encouragement. there should be more people like him. he can biatch at me anytime for feeling unworthy.