Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked my Application Status and it is now complete. I never got an email about a EUID, but maybe they know I already have one somehow. As long as it now says that I am "complete", I am okay with that.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to have a b.s. to get into the medical masters program, or do they take people with a b.a.?

Their website has general requirements for the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences which states:

"Applicant must hold a bachelor's degree or its equivalent with a major in biology, biochemistry, chemistry or equivalent field from a regionally accredited institution. "

I have no idea what constitutes an "equivalent field", but I hope it contains my degree! I might have just wasted my time and money applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this and thought there might be a problem for non-science majors, too, but I can think off the top of my head of one girl who majored in poli sci. That's about as liberal arts, BA as they come.

Good to hear! I have a B.A. in Psychology.

qui.jpg

"A B.A. will do fine."

Last edited:
watto2.jpg

"No, it won't-a. What? You think you're some kind of Premed, waving your hand around like that? I'm an Admin. Mind tricks don't work on me. Only a B.S. No B.S., no acceptance, no deal!

Just wondering if anyone's heard anything... Any news on whether they'll be offering scholarships? Good luck to all who've applied.

-Ruben

my status was updated to complete today other than that i was told that they would inform us around april 10 if we got in

Any word on whether they'll be offering those scholarships for tuition? The info was there earlier this year but it's gone now..

:xf:

I don't like that this thread is on the 2nd page now. Let's change that.

The countdown begins! Will they be emailing acceptances? Anybody heard anything yet?

Ahh!! I'm nervous! No I havent heard anything yet...Do you think Easter Holidays will cause them to be closed and us hearing later than planned (April 10th)? Also, I figured we'd be getting emails rather than letters, just b/c the program starts in almost a month so its faster to email...

So, just to make this thread more active.....did you guys apply to any other programs?

What kind of physician do you plan on shadowing if you make it into the program?

Do you plan on retaking the MCAT ( i think anything under 28 is recc.to in the program?)

My answers:

1.) No. Im a texas resident and plan to practice here, so i thought it would be better if i applied to an instate program b/c its cheaper and I want to get into a tex. med school...

2.) I want to shadow so many! Radiologist, Anesthes., surgeon, Ob/gyn, peds.

3.)Yes... I should start studying this week :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
So, just to make this thread more active.....did you guys apply to any other programs?

What kind of physician do you plan on shadowing if you make it into the program?

Do you plan on retaking the MCAT ( i think anything under 28 is recc.to in the program?)

My answers:

1.) No. Im a texas resident and plan to practice here, so i thought it would be better if i applied to an instate program b/c its cheaper and I want to get into a tex. med school...

2.) I want to shadow so many! Radiologist, Anesthes., surgeon, Ob/gyn, peds.

3.)Yes... I should start studying this week :-(

I'm getting more nervous as the day draws closer. I felt that I had a fairly competitive application but now I'm getting that sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about it....Here's to all of us getting in :xf::thumbup:.

1) I haven't applied to another program. My family's in a tough financial spot right now so I wanted to wait until I hear back from UNT before I blow money on OOS masters programs.

2) I want to shadow a field that I've never shadowed before...OB would be interesting, but I'm sure I'll switch back and forth. Does anyone know how the preceptorship works? Are we matched with doctors randomly or do we get to pick and choose?

3) I don't think I will retake the MCAT.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Did anyone notice the changes they made to the curriculum?

They split up Anatomy into 2 semesters instead of just one. There's some other minor changes too. I don't remember there being an Immunology course listed previously.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Education/gsbs/medicalsciences.cfm
They're actually not "splitting" the anatomy course so much as expanding it. Now you'll be taking a whole year's worth of anatomy and cover the whole human body instead of just everything between the shoulders and hips.

Also, the preceptorship program only sets you up with family practice docs, rather than with a physician of your choice, this summer.

Good luck everyone! Now back to that thoracic anatomy test I have in 2 hours...

im really praying i get accepted into this program.

My answers:

1. This is the only program I've applied to

2. I guess they'll figure that out for us.. but I've shadowed mostly pediatricians.

3. I do plan on retaking the MCAT and hoping their MCAT prep course helps out.

I've got a few questions as well..

How many people here are career changers?

How many times have you applied to med school?

How many people are more than 2 hours away from Fort Worth?

My answers..

1. I've been a middle school science teacher for 4 years.

2. I've only applied once this past application cycle.

3. I'm about 10 hours south of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have no idea where I'll be staying if accepted! :eek:

I am getting really nervous about it as well. Hopefully we will find out by the 10th.

My answers:

1) I did not apply to other programs ... I want/wanted to stay in TX.
2) I guess it was answered for us ... Family Practice.
3) I do plan on retaking.
4) I am not a career changer. Doing a 5th year after graduating with B.A.
5) I have only applied once before, this last application cycle.
6) I am about 5-6 hrs away from DFW ... I also don't know where I will stay if I get in.

I'm getting more nervous as the day draws closer. I felt that I had a fairly competitive application but now I'm getting that sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about it....Here's to all of us getting in :xf::thumbup:.

1) I haven't applied to another program. My family's in a tough financial spot right now so I wanted to wait until I hear back from UNT before I blow money on OOS masters programs.

2) I want to shadow a field that I've never shadowed before...OB would be interesting, but I'm sure I'll switch back and forth. Does anyone know how the preceptorship works? Are we matched with doctors randomly or do we get to pick and choose?

3) I don't think I will retake the MCAT.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Oh my gosh! I totally understand that feeling of having a sick stomach....I've been on my knees praying so much!

I've got a few questions as well..

How many people here are career changers?

How many times have you applied to med school?

How many people are more than 2 hours away from Fort Worth?

My answers..

1. I've been a middle school science teacher for 4 years.

2. I've only applied once this past application cycle.

3. I'm about 10 hours south of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have no idea where I'll be staying if accepted! :eek:

My answers:

1.) I'm not a career changer. In fact, I've wanted to be a doctor since the 8th grade..so its been what 9 years?

2.) I have only applied once to med. school (this past cycle)

3.) I live 4-5 hours from Dallas (Houston)

BTW, I was just catching up on my reading of forums today and noticed that there is a possibility of TCOM turning into an M.D. school? I dont know how old this news is but it was new to me so I was glad to read it!

Texas can use more medical schools. I'm still shocked its 2009, and austin doesnt have one..

1. No I did not plan on any other programs.
3. Yes I plan on retaking mcat and good luck to ev1 who is as well hope we all improve
4. no a career changer
5. i applied once (this past cycle)
6. Yea i am in houston as well so a good 4-5 hrs

Best of luck to everyone :)

BTW, I was just catching up on my reading of forums today and noticed that there is a possibility of TCOM turning into an M.D. school? I dont know how old this news is but it was new to me so I was glad to read it!

Texas can use more medical schools. I'm still shocked its 2009, and austin doesnt have one..

i thought they were going to offer an MD program parallel to the DO program.. :confused:

The more the merrier!:thumbup:

i thought they were going to offer an MD program parallel to the DO program.. :confused:
Truth. They're considering adding an MD program parallel to the DO degree. Whether students would take the same classes or be completely separate has yet to be decided, as is whether the MD degree will be added at all. A lot of the DO faculty are up in arms about the osteopathic philosophy being phased out, but there really is such little difference between the degrees that I don't see why it should make much difference. Believe it or not, there is already more MD faculty at TCOM than DO faculty.

Those of you who will be accepted are going to walk into a probably firestorm over this issue. You're really going to be at ground zero over the whole MD vs. DO business. Kind of exciting, and you should definitely speak your mind, but just take care not to get anyone (like the TCOM dean) PO'd at you. Unfortunately and unfairly, something like that could get you a one-way ticket to rejectionville.

Truth. They're considering adding an MD program parallel to the DO degree. Whether students would take the same classes or be completely separate has yet to be decided, as is whether the MD degree will be added at all. A lot of the DO faculty are up in arms about the osteopathic philosophy being phased out, but there really is such little difference between the degrees that I don't see why it should make much difference. Believe it or not, there is already more MD faculty at TCOM than DO faculty.

Those of you who will be accepted are going to walk into a probably firestorm over this issue. You're really going to be at ground zero over the whole MD vs. DO business. Kind of exciting, and you should definitely speak your mind, but just take care not to get anyone (like the TCOM dean) PO'd at you. Unfortunately and unfairly, something like that could get you a one-way ticket to rejectionville.

Yes I agree! Its exciting yet a fragile issue. I can see both sides of the issue but as for now I believe that with this MD and DO program, the number of seats will be increasing thereby providing more physicians to Texas. Isnt that all that should matter at the end of the day? Hmm..lets see what happens..

Do people in this program apply to medical school for that current cycle, or do they wait until the next cycle after the program is completed?

I have been researching many SMP/Medical Master's programs and I can't really find how they compare to each other. Up until this thread, there really was no info on UNT's Medical Master's aside from the website. I appreciate an actual student perspective.

If you're in med school now, did your other classmates attend similar programs else where? Would you happen to have any idea how UNTs program compares to the others?

Also you had mentioned TCOM and A&M, seem to be pretty favorable towards the UNT Med. Master students, any other schools you have noticed?

I have been researching many SMP/Medical Master's programs and I can't really find how they compare to each other. Up until this thread, there really was no info on UNT's Medical Master's aside from the website. I appreciate an actual student perspective.

If you're in med school now, did your other classmates attend similar programs else where? Would you happen to have any idea how UNTs program compares to the others?

Also you had mentioned TCOM and A&M, seem to be pretty favorable towards the UNT Med. Master students, any other schools you have noticed?
I'll give you a rundown of the schools and an approximate number of students who've been accepted and will be attending:
TCOM - 15 to 20ish, with many more on the way at the end of the year
A&M - 5
San Antonio - 3 or 4
El Paso - 1
Houston - 1
Tech - 1 or 2

Hope that helps. No one that I know of has been accepted to Southwestern, Baylor or Galveston.
Yes I agree! Its exciting yet a fragile issue. I can see both sides of the issue but as for now I believe that with this MD and DO program, the number of seats will be increasing thereby providing more physicians to Texas. Isnt that all that should matter at the end of the day? Hmm..lets see what happens..
Well, the big issue is whether primary care becomes less of a priority. Part of the school's mission is to increase the number of primary care physicians in Texas, and more DOs tend to do primary care. It's a tough issue to deal with.

I'm in the Med Sci program right now, too, and I just wanted to let y'all know I'm available to answer any questions y'all might have. Most people that I know of (except for one girl) applied to medical school for the current cycle. While it makes sense to wait to apply until after the year is over and all of your grades are in, it really isn't necessary. Most medical schools in TX like seeing that you're enrolled in the program and you can always update them with grades as they become available throughout the year. As for medical schools that look favorably on the program, here is some more clarification of acceptance statistics:

San Antonio - 8
Galveston - 1
Houston - 1
El Paso - 1
TCOM - 18 early acceptances were given out, but several of the accepted students were also accepted to other schools so more spots will be available to other Med Sci students in May when the admissions people make their final decisions
A&M - 5
Tech - I know 2 girls were accepted (prematch) but they were also accepted to SA (prematch) and they ranked SA #1

As for Southwestern, we had at least 2 people interview there, but neither of them ranked Southwestern very high because they didn't like the atmosphere there. So, I wouldn't say that Southwestern doesn't like the program. Rather, the students didn't like Southwestern.

Don't know about Baylor.

Hope this helps!

i'm still waiting to hear if i got into this program or not but hopefully it will work out. I had a few questions though if anyone could answer them.
What is required to get an interview for the d.o. school, do I have to have a 3.5 or is everyone guaranteed an interview? and also, when do they start interviews?

also, about the mcat? is there a required mcat for acceptance into their d.o. school? do you know of people who got accepted with low mcats but did well in the program? how does the summer work, do i have to take a mcat prep class or is it optional? sorry for so many questions, i want to make the best decision for me to get into med school because I also got accepted into PCOM's biomed program which is a very well known program and I would have a good chance of getting accepted to their d.o. school also. The perk of this program is that I'm a texas resident and live in houston, so i would be close to home and expenses won't be that much either? I just want to know basically how high are the chances that I will get accepted into TCOM for their d.o. school by enrolling in this program?

I think Bobsagat mentioned that people in the program get an interview with TCOM.. the following was copied from the program website.

"For those individuals who are planning to qualify for consideration for medical school admission at TCOM as part of the program, the following are required:

Successful completion of all undergraduate course requirements for TCOM as listed in the current catalog;
Competitive undergraduate grade point average (In general, an overall undergraduate GPA below 3.0 is not considered competitive for medical school) and a GPA of 3.5 in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences' Medical Sciences program;
Competitive MCAT score taken prior to the application deadline; and
Completed medical school application submitted to the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS) and a secondary application submitted to the TCOM Office of Medical Student Admissions according to the TMDSAS and TCOM application deadlines."

As far as their MCAT standards.. i believe it states somewhere on the website that anything less than a 20 is not considered competitive.. although there have been exceptions.
Hope this helps.

I know I've read somewhere that the program begins in mid-May.. Does anyone know the exact date it begins? I'm just curious... but mostly anxious!

I believe that for those who get in, the orientation will be May 22nd and classes start on May 26th.

Most people that I know of (except for one girl) applied to medical school for the current cycle. While it makes sense to wait to apply until after the year is over and all of your grades are in, it really isn't necessary. Most medical schools in TX like seeing that you're enrolled in the program and you can always update them with grades as they become available throughout the year.

How much of a disadvantage would you be at in your coursework if you had to go on med school interviews?

Is it possible to balance out the time needed to travel/prepare for interviews, and also catch up and do well in the coursework?

How much of a disadvantage would you be at in your coursework if you had to go on med school interviews?

Is it possible to balance out the time needed to travel/prepare for interviews, and also catch up and do well in the coursework?

Yeah, I not only missed class for several of my interviews, but I actually missed a test for my SA interview. The whole point of the program is to get you into medical school, wherever that may be, so the professors are definitely willing to work with you if you need to leave for an interview. Granted, I did have to get some paperwork signed and all of that logistical stuff straightened out before I missed my test, but it wasn't a problem at all. It's definitely possible to balance interview prep/travel and schoolwork, you just need to stay on top of your stuff.

What's the average age of the students in this program?.. I feel OLD compared to some.. I'll be hitting the BIG 30 in about two months! :eek:

What's the average age of the students in this program?.. I feel OLD compared to some.. I'll be hitting the BIG 30 in about two months! :eek:

I would say the youngest is 22 and the oldest is around 35. Lots of ages in between. We had a guy who was older than 35 but he left the program for personal reasons. I think he's planning on coming back with the new 2009-2010 class. You definitely dont need to worry about being older...no one cares. :)

Hello! Has anyone heard back yet? The suspense is killing me...:scared:

Check us status update. I'm in!!!!!!!!! Wooo hoooo. I applied early around Jan. Just saw the green check by my status.

Check us status update. I'm in!!!!!!!!! Wooo hoooo. I applied early around Jan. Just saw the green check by my status.

congrats abearhin :)!!!! I just checked and I got in as well :) Best of luck to everyone who applied as well :)!!!! Doors will always open if u keep looking :) GOOD LUCK :)!

YES! just checked the status update. im completely surprised i got in. my stats are so low compared to everyone else, but im just happy that i wont have to spend an entire year living with my parents.

now-- let's hope it wasnt a mistake

Last edited:
No its not a mistake. If you can see it and claim it it will be yours. LOL. Congrats guys. I got into several other programs all across the country but I am glad I won't have to move that far. I live 2 hrs away now so F.W and TCOM here I come. Do you guys know where you are living yet? I plan on visiting next weekend to look at places to live. I just need something cheap and quiet so I can gear up for the year. If anyone needs an MCAT study buddy I will be available end of May.

Congrats to those who got in..
I unfortunately didn't..And i dont think i'm on the waitlist (status just said I didnt get in...)

I'm feeling so bummed. I've been trying to redeem myself for a year, and this was my last option...

Just found out I've been waitlisted. :oops:

How many applied late and got in?

I was told a mass email was sent with waitlist info but have not yet recieved it. Has anyone received this email?

This was not expected. I don't know if I should sign up to teach summer school! Such is life.... KEEP THE FAITH!

Congratulations to those who were accepted and who's prayers were answered.

I am so sorry to hear about you guys that were either waitlisted or didn't get in. I would suggest showing interest by either emailing or making an appt to go visit and plead your case with them. Last year I remember people that were accepted into this program getting off waitlists at med schools thereby opening some slots. If that happens you could be next in line to get in if you have really showed them how badly you want it.

I finally got that email... I will be doing alot of praying from now until the cut off date.

I can't believe this thread is still on the 2nd page!

I finally got that email... I will be doing alot of praying from now until the cut off date.

I can't believe this thread is still on the 2nd page!

I got waitlisted too. I didn't receive any email though... was wondering if i really got rejected and they were just being nice... did they tell you over the phone that you were waitlisted? :confused:

Yes I called and emailed. They will also be mailing formal letters on Monday.