Info on audiology programs to help with my decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intrared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I didn't expect to be accepted into more than 1 or 2 programs and am now facing decisions. With scholarships they will all be about the same financially and I've read everything out there on the websites but I am seeking more inside type information.

Does anyone attend or have any information on the following programs?

Are the students happy with the programs, is there enough varied clinical experience, ease of finding externships?

AT Still
Idaho State
Nova
Syracuse University
University of Buffalo

Thanks so much for any help you can give me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak for any of those programs but looking back I would base my decision on the following:
Praxis pass rate
Equipment Age/accessability
Clinical rotation

I believe those three factors are critical for your success. Without mentioning the school i go to (as you know - this profession is small and if i would like to give my .02 here truthfully i'd like to remain anonymous) I am not happy with the current state of my department. That said, this is graduate school and we are in a profession that does not progress very fast. A lot can be self-taught and much of it should be. What mattered to me the most was the latter two factors. Make sure you have access to a soundbooth whenever you want to practice and make sure the clinical hours you get are in various settings (Peds, Geri, Vestib, Edu etc.)

Lastly, make sure you enjoy your time. That is one of the most important factors - live where you can enjoy your weekends - i'm a westcoast person so i can never imagine living somewhere like Syracuse of Buffalo - but to each their own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't speak for any of those programs but looking back I would base my decision on the following:
Praxis pass rate
Equipment Age/accessability
Clinical rotation

I believe those three factors are critical for your success. Without mentioning the school i go to (as you know - this profession is small and if i would like to give my .02 here truthfully i'd like to remain anonymous) I am not happy with the current state of my department. That said, this is graduate school and we are in a profession that does not progress very fast. A lot can be self-taught and much of it should be. What mattered to me the most was the latter two factors. Make sure you have access to a soundbooth whenever you want to practice and make sure the clinical hours you get are in various settings (Peds, Geri, Vestib, Edu etc.)

Lastly, make sure you enjoy your time. That is one of the most important factors - live where you can enjoy your weekends - i'm a westcoast person so i can never imagine living somewhere like Syracuse of Buffalo - but to each their own.

Thank you james6911. I understand wanting to remain anonymous about your program. I thought if someone had a positive experience they wouldn't mind posting more details :). I am not sure I could survive the Buffalo or Syracuse winters either! From what I can tell from my choices some have better equipment, some have better praxis and others have better locations. For example,Syracuse has great rotations and does have brand new equipment although their Praxis is not great. I'm touring Buffalo on Friday to see how their program is but I still can't get location...location..location... out of my mind .

I'm currently attending AT Still in their transitional AuD program - so different than what you would be doing. However, the faculty seem really supportive and the online environment is very positive, Years ago - I was an adjunct at Nova - great crowd there at the time. Good luck with your decision.

I would go to the one you can get in-state tuition in if you can. Following that if you can't get in-state tuition in any of them then I would go by funding and where you feel you want to live for graduate school. Some people can't handle large cities or cold weather. Large cities are nice because usually those programs have several off site clinical rotations, whereas more rural schools have less off site clinic locations and more drive times to get to them.

All the schools you mentioned have good reputations. I know a few AT Still grads and they loved their program. I also know a few Nova grads and they loved their program. I only know one student from Buffalo and she really liked the program but she was northeast Ohio so lake effect snow was something she was used to. If you don't like cold weather and snow then Buffalo and Syracuse would not be for you!

In the end remember your 3 years in graduate school are what you make of it. Go somewhere where you like the weather and feel you would fit in well.

Thank you for your feedback Rexdb and TheEarDoc. I have chosen AT Still and am excited to get started :)

Oh that's great Intrared - congrats!