Info about individual partnership with NIH GPP for the PhD part of MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorworm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming MSTP student entertaining the idea of doing my PhD work at the NIH. Since I am an experimentalist, I don't think it would make sense to consider the Ox/Cam program because it seems like this would be best suited for computational research - but I think it might be possible to make an individual partnership with the NIH through the GPP. I have looked EVERYWHERE and I cannot seem to find anyone who has successfully set up a partnership. Is there anyone on this thread/friends/family that have looked into this option and are willing to share some things they have learned? PM or comment on this thread - it seems there is not a lot of transparency with these programs. Most of the info in this community is significantly outdated (>10 years old). Open to any and all suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of OxCam students are not computational and are wet-lab instead, so I wouldn't exclusively characterize the program as such. Have you consulted the NIH GPP individual partnership page? It details the process for setting up a partnership which may be helpful for getting the ball rolling. I would also encourage you to reach out to Pat Wagner at the NIH who serves as Director of Admissions and may be well positioned to provide advice and answer further questions you may have on the process. Hope it works out!

Reactions: 1 users