infant with vomiting and diarrhea - virus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GomerPyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding whether vomiting and diarrhea in an infant (or even anybody) is more likely to be rotavirus or norovirus....can anyone help explain? If you have a 1 month old infant with vomiting and diarrhea, which is more likely?

Members don't see this ad.

With no other info I'd probably choose rotavirus since norovirus is usually older kids.

Yeah I'd go rota unless there was more in the history

From my understanding Rota is the most common one in young children while Noro is associated with restaurants epidemic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's an infant, it's always rotavirus. That's the one there's a vaccine for, if that helps you remember it (but you don't get the first dose until 2 months).

Or I believe if they are infected with rota, which usually happens at a young age, they usually obtain immunity from that point on.

If the infant got it and then the mom/babysitter got it, then maybe think about norovirus if they are being sneaky without buzzwords like "cruise ship".

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! I just remember uworld saying that rotavirus is less common in the US because of vaccines, so I just wanted to clear it up. I guess the age really matters...the infant in the question was 2 months I believe

Rota is the answer unless they say the kid was vaccinated against Rota, or if the other members of the family also have it, which means it's not going to be Rota.

Nora is one of the most common causes of viral gastroenteritis and is also the answer if they mention a virus from a cruise ship or close quarters.

Reactions: 1 users
Annotated my FA rotavirus / norovirus stuff with stuff posted on SDN.
.. since reading stuff on SDN is more entertaining than tackling blocks and reviewing them haha. Thanks guys

This is my understanding too. If it's JUST the baby, go with Rota. If it's the baby + parent/older sibling/daycare worker, Noro is the better bet (everyone older than kindergarten or so should be immune from prior infection if not from vaccination).