Indians and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so I've finally started thinking about ahving DO schools as an option as well. And after I met a couple of DO's I think the whole concept is not that bad at all.

How do indians look at DO's in general?
Can DO's practice in India?
I know that my parents look down upon it, but how about the other parents? Are they getting smarter and more sensible to consideir DO as a good option too? Are they moudling gradually? Still stuck up with the prestige factor and not with the fact that you'll still be helping people and making jsut as much?

Members don't see this ad.

priyanka said:
Hmm, so I've finally started thinking about ahving DO schools as an option as well. And after I met a couple of DO's I think the whole concept is not that bad at all.

I know that my parents look down upon it, but how about the other parents? Are they getting smarter and more sensible to consideir DO as a good option too? Are they moudling gradually? Still stuck up with the prestige factor and not with the fact that you'll still be helping people and making jsut as much?

this post is ******ed.

dont live your life for other people.

marcus_aurelius said:
this post is ******ed.

dont live your life for other people.

huh?

Before acting so ******ed yourself, read my post again. I am just trying to trigger a discussion over here as to what individual parents think, never said that I'd follow what the stigma is, be it good or bad.
My point is, are the indian parents becoming more open to the concept of DOs over the years, or is it the same..

And btw you're not supposed to reply to the posts you "think" are ******ed, so stfu.

Members don't see this ad :)
priyanka said:
huh?

Before acting so ******ed yourself, read my post again. I am just trying to trigger a discussion over here as to what individual parents think, never said that I'd follow what the stigma is, be it good or bad.
My point is, are the indian parents becoming more open to the concept of DOs over the years, or is it the same..

And btw you're not supposed to reply to the posts you "think" are ******ed, so stfu.

what a boring topic... :sleep:

i'm sure all indo parents would have the same answer on this topic too :D

wanna go out on a date?

marcus_aurelius said:
what a boring topic... :sleep:

i'm sure all indo parents would have the same answer on this topic too :D

wanna go out on a date?

ok now I see how you flirt. This style is so desi ( First you irritate the chick and get into an argument and then ....blah.)

Its a hot style anyways :p

So then yeah who cares abt what indian parents think?
miya biwi razi to kya karega kazi? heard of that? :laugh:

priyanka said:

99.9999999% people have never heard what DO is ... even most of medical students and doctors would confuse it for Diploma in Ophthalmology.

Medical Council of India only recognizes the medical degrees from the countries which reciprocally recognize Indian degrees... to best of my knowledge only country to this is Nepal.... and dont think they have DOs in Nepal.

why do you want to come here???

$!n!$+er said:
99.9999999% people have never heard what DO is
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DO? :oops: How is it different from an MD? This is a serious question..

uhoh! said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DO? :oops: How is it different from an MD? This is a serious question..

DO = drunk outrageously :) this is a serious answer

uhoh! said:

DO = Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

In the US, there are two kinds of medical doctors, MD's and DO's. They're both fully licensed by the gov't to practice medicine and perform surgery. There are ~125 allopathic medical schools (MD) and only ~20 osteopathic medical schools (DO). That's one of the main reasons why most people think "MD" when they think "doctor/physician."

What's the difference then? As DO's, we learn Medicine as well as manual techniques (i.e. using our hands) called OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative Technique) to Dx and Tx musculoskeletal disorders. In certain specialties, OMT is a GREAT tool (PM&R, Ortho, Family Med, etc). In others, it has little relevance (Ophtho, Path, Radiology, etc).

Want more info? Read here:

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=ost_main

Hope that helps.

As far as practicing in India is concerned, DO is not currently recognized in India; but I am sure that you can practice once you have the residency. Also, I think Indian parents here in US are quite aware of DO/MD disctiction...Although it's just a matter of personal choice as to what you want to go into :luck:

Priyanka:
I think keeping the DO option in mind is a very good thing. You have a full fledged medical license; and that is pretty much all that matters.
As far as practicing in India is concerned, as long as you have completed a residency here in the US, your expertise will be highly sought after regardless if you have an MD or a DO.

As far as the parents situation.... don't even bother. Tereku daktar banney ka hai na.... to baaaasss, just go ahead and do it. And if your parents keep bothering you about it, tell them that they are more than welcome to take the MCAT and apply to US MD programs themselves. Now, I don't promote talking back to your parents.... but I am very much anti-ignorance. Unfortunately a lot of the older desi generations thrive on ignorance, so dont get bogged down by it.

Priyanka,
u do have a valid question. i went through this with my parents. but this is the comical part, just open up the yellow pages and show them how many MDs and DOs are practicing in your part of town. next, yes indians are kinda stuck with prestige issue...i'm not sure if it's ignorance as AMMD stated or an ego trip, as someone else mentioned. listen, it's the 4 years of your life in med school and then 3+ of residency. it's not set in stone that you'll use OMT because you may choose a specialty that doesn't need it....e.g radiology. but at least you had the option. in the end, apply to BOTH sides ok. AMMD is correcto....acceptance into med school is the goal.

after I did this, all these desi kids started applying to DO schools and their parents "suggested" them to do so.

lastly, if you can handle being a DO, then do it. if you have any doubt, then don't do it. it's really that simple. doesn't matter what anyone else says. keep your options open.

ray.

Yoga said:
As far as practicing in India is concerned, DO is not currently recognized in India; but I am sure that you can practice once you have the residency. Also, I think Indian parents here in US are quite aware of DO/MD disctiction...Although it's just a matter of personal choice as to what you want to go into :luck:

yeah US residency is recognized in India.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO is a great degree for the US, but I am afraid that it is quite limited in the rest of the industrialized world. Most places recognize allopathic medicine degrees, of which osteopathy definitely is not. The same problem applies to people doing med-peds residencies. It is difficult to get even the UK to recognize both medicine and pedi training. Maybe because it is pediatrics and not paediatrics ;) Anyway, countries that don't really care about where you trained don't care about your DO either, as long as you are licensed in the US (developing world). Recall that in India, Ayurveda and Homeopathy are both fully recognized medical degrees, and the US only recognizes allopathy (granted, comparing them and MD/DO is not really fair).

Although I'm in Pharmacy school, the University I attend (Nova Southeastern University) has a DO program and there are TONS of Indians that are in that program.

JackFruitLover said:
Although I'm in Pharmacy school, the University I attend (Nova Southeastern University) has a DO program and there are TONS of Indians that are in that program.

OOh ooh, I interviewed at a program with another applicant from Nova ... she was Vietnamese, not Indian, but oh so hot!!!! :love: And a great personality to boot. I wonder where she ended up .....

Yes, lots of Indians end up in DO School. No shame to it at all.

Priyanka,
I was confused too, although my parents were all for what I loved. I see MD and DO's are both equally excellent programs. We have currently 12 Indians in the DO school that I attend and that is only in my class.... There are still times when I meet my relatives they stare and me and ask what that is and think I am chiro/Podiatrist. But I am educating them and I guess you will have to too sometimes parents and relatives can be harsh and a pain in gluteal region!!!!!

I found an amazing solution to my families constant nagging:

I told them that the D.O degree originated when American doctors decided they wanted their own medical degree rather than a German M.D degree.

I tell them its just how Americans usually are: arrogant and independent, like how they have 110V instead of 120V and how they turn the lights off to actually turn it on and their doors have to be turned counterclockwise instead of clockwise when the other countries have it the other way etc...

Now they think Im a notch above the M.D doctors....hehe...whatever works!

Indian parents have that stigma against DOs and it was evident from mine too. It is mainly because they think DOs not as doctors, but more like physician assistants...its really hard to convince some of the indian parents that there is no real difference between MDs and DOs, once they start practicing medicine.

I am Indian and graduating NYCOM this year. My parents actually wanted me to go to this school due to the relative closeness. Pleaseeee...this is why people don't understand what a DO is..because you people are more concerned with what fam and relatives think than what the real and true meaning of a doc is. So move on...if you only want to be an MD because your parents want you to, pick a different profession. If you don't care how you do it and want to become an American Doctor...than you won't care if you're a DO or MD. Just my 2 cents.

Oh man, this topic sends me on rants all the time...

Priyanka, just from what I've seen.... the desis who have a problem with it are generally the ones who are not in medicine themselves. This is just what i've noticed myself though. Most any desi where at least one of the parents are practicing medicine, realize that they are seeing DO's in about every speciality (reading in the residency forums, there's 3 DO's in the Rad Onc. program at Wayne State if i remember... Rad Onc is one of the last strongholds that DO's have had a hard time getting into) and making the same percieved "big bucks/rupees" as they are. Yes there are still parents out there concerned with prestige and just that, but who really cares? A DO is a physician, not a crack-slinger. It's embarassing how superficial our culture is that we even have to be having this thread right now.

Now let me ask you, if you decide to be a DO, and you have family friends who "look down upon you", are those people you really are concerned about making a good impression on... or even being acquinted with? When I came to the realization that I hadn't gotten into any allopathics here and was deciding whether I should go DO or Carib, I ultimately decided that I would be passing up every positive aspect of attending DO school here for the one reason of having the MD behind my name. At the end of the day, I couldn't live myself making a decision for such superficial, fluff reasons.

And before anyone jumps on me, i'm not starting a DO vs Carib flame war, I'm just saying that DO suited me better personally.

i will never go DO! It is a disgrace to my family history.

iecglobal said:
Dear student,

We shall help with step by step with the admission process it is not a problem at all. For students from the USA and UK. We recommend Zheijiang Medical University and China Medical University.

Both these universities are the only universities that are offering medical program in English language for the past 25 years. A proof of this is available in the WHO directory of Medical schools, if you go the page of the University, the language of instruction mentioned is English, Chinese and Japanese.

Zheijiang University also provides training for USMLE for the students from USA. We are also striving to establish clinical rotations in USA and hopefully that would be done shortly.

International Educational consultants along with Zheijiang Univeirsy are starting a new batch for medical education for foreigners. This is for students from Indian Sub continent, USA, Canada and UK.

The unique feature for this special batch is

The whole program is taught in English
Most of the faculty are educated from USA, UK or have received training from USA, UK, Canada or Europe for Medical education. In fact some of then have been working in hospitals in USA.
The fee is reduced from 4000 US$ to 3000 US$ for student who study through our organization.
Training for USMLE programs are provided through online testing formats.
Negotiations are on to provide clinical rotations in USA
Visiting faculties from USA and Europe.
Massive infrastructure with all resources and modern equipments.
Attached with 4000 bedded hospitals.
Far better than those costly Caribbean schools [Medical school shops rather]
Located in one of the most beautiful cities in the world that has been attracting tourists for the last 2000 years from all over the world.
Recognized by World Health Organization and the WHO directory mentions the language of instruction to be in English, Chinese and Japanese. [No other medical universities other than China Medical University has this]
Recognized by FAIMER and Published in the IMED director.

http://imed.ecfmg.org/results.asp?c...page=7&cname=CHINA&city=®ion=&rname=&psize=25

Most of the detail are available in the website www.chinambbs.com, we recommend you to view the picture gallery to see more about the University, the facilities they have and for other details please get in touch with us.

Some international students in Hangzhou
http://www.hangzhou.com.cn/20050801/ca1065745.htm

Attractions in Hangzhou, China
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/zhejiang/hangzhou/attractions.htm

About Hangzhou:
http://www.hangzhou.com.cn/english/

Can we have details of your educational background, your contact details so that we can also send you the details and also check with the eligibility for admissions?

Regards

Shipu
Admission Coordinator
China Mobile; +86-130-67783162
www.chinambbs.com
[email protected]

wtf

Im Indian, I just finished my first year at CCOM. I got a lot of **** from my relatives at first but there are two things that helped out a lot. 1) I shadowed the guys that were giving me a hard time, and every time they pimped me, I busted out this slurry of scientific bull**** that was spot on, the correct answer (ok, the most impressive one was when my cousin asked me to break down the clotting mechanism....in front of a patient). 2) when ever an uncle busts my balls about it, Im just like, oh, right, I forgot you were an MBBS....that usually gets them to shut their yap hole.

im an indian as well... but fortunately i have non-ignorant parents that support my attempts for DO. hooray! :)

my dad is a doctor here in the US and when i asked him what my options should be he said 1. allopathic, 2. osteopathic, 3. caribbean
as a physician, i took his word for it.