Indiana vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiouspremed21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indiana University
Pros
  • Large Research school meaning more research opportunities, which can help for more competitive residency programs. (Plastics)
  • Slightly cheaper tuition/overall CoA (OOS)
  • Closer to home albeit still not close.
  • Facilities were nice and new.

Cons
  • Lacking a sense of community due to large student population
  • Still not sure which regional campus I will be placed at… could be rural, which is something I do not want.- Updated: Got into Indianapolis Campus
  • Match list incomplete but not using as a deciding factor.
  • Heard students placed in regional campuses do not do as well as those in Indianapolis.

Tulane
Pros
  • NOLA was an amazing city when I visited. Great vibe.
  • Students seemed to know everyone and they were all chill
  • The Dean absolutely adored me, which was strange but I am not complaining.
  • MD/MPH in Tropical Medicine is appealing if I go into Infectious Diseases.-Update Got into the MD/MPH program.
  • Love the early patient care and opportunities to volunteer.
  • Match list seemed awesome but not using it as deciding factor.

Cons
  • Some parts of the city were meh… But that is probably everywhere.
  • Farther way from my family and friends.
  • Research wasn’t as strong/seemed little. Concerned if I want to go into a competitive field (Plastics). Not sure DeBakey Scholars would be enough or have the resources for that.
  • Higher tuition and overall CoA. -Update: Received a 20K/yr Merit Scholarship. Cheaper than IUSM.

Summary: Indiana seems like a great school for science research, which will be beneficial for competitive residency programs, however location and lack of community are off putting. Tulane is a great school for public health and global medicine, which is something I am interested in, however higher tuition and lack of research make me worry about the security of my investment.

Unsure where I would throw ranking/reputation seeing as it’s a poor factor to determine school choice, however Indiana is ranked while Tulane doesn’t participate (US News).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Indiana, but Tulane and Nola are awesome! Considering your interest in public health and global medicine, Tulane may be a good choice for you.

How much cheaper is Indiana and how much does that affect your situation is a question you need to ask yourself . How much are you into research , I am sure you will be able to do some research at Tulane also. Although Tulane chooses to be unranked it is considered to be a pretty solid mid tier school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any one speak to the research opportunities at both schools? At Tulane if I were to do the MD/MPH would I still be able to do research in another field?

Can any one speak to the research opportunities at both schools? At Tulane if I were to do the MD/MPH would I still be able to do research in another field?
From my knowledge, the research opportunities at Tulane probably arent as good as the ones at Indiana. I know they dont focus too much on that. Seems like Indiana would be a better fit for you from the reasons you listed: 1. desire to pursue plastic versus primary care 2. closer to home 3. cost of attendance.

I interviewed at Indiana and LOVED it! Students seem happy and it's a solid school! Hope to see you as a classmate, good luck on your decision!

IUs match list is pretty similar. Plenty of pple matching competitive specialities and in solid programs across the US.

IUSM Class of 2017 Match Map

I know, I wasn't trying to compare the two match lists, but OP specifically said they were worried about choosing Tulane if they decide to go into a competitive field, so I wanted to point out that one can still match into a competitive specialty coming from Tulane and I don't think that should be used as the deciding factor.

Thank you all for your advice. I went with my gut and chose Tulane. I was scared of the price tag, however I just received a scholarship from the university that really helps me out. Thanks all and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your advice. I went with my gut and chose Tulane. I was scared of the price tag, however I just received a scholarship from the university that really helps me out. Thanks all and good luck!
I don't blame you bud. Follow the $$$. Congrats!