Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO2Be2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I have IU ranked #1 on my ROL, but as I ended the interview trail and talked to other applicants, I heard several people mention that IU is a malignant program. I've heard that the residents are overworked and swipe a card marking the end of their shifts, but continue to work afterwards. Anyone know if these rumors are true about IU? Would appreciate any other feedback about the program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll put it this way- before my interview I would have strongly considered putting them at 1 esp b/c I'm interested in cards, but I got the same sense and the PD seemed kinda stiff. They're still in my top 5 b/c they do have great fellowship placement but I'm hoping to end up elsewhere.

I'm an upper level resident at IU for IM. Did med school here as well. I'm very happy with my choice.

I do not consider our program malignant. It is a myth that we use cards to clock out with. We take the work hours seriously, and IU in general (regardless of specialty) has the residents log daily work hours online, in an effort to identify rotations (system wide) that habitually break the work hour restrictions. I have logged my hours since day 1, and have NEVER worked longer than 30hr at one time nor more than 80 hours in a week. Even in the ICU. Have I seen residents surpass this? Yes, but it is generally due to their inefficiencies rather than a system problem, or their inability to sign out material.

Strengths:
EIP program designation
4 hospital system (VA, county, university, private)
Program reputation, cost of living (#1 most affordable major city per CNN Money)
Fellowship placement
New PD is progressive (old PD went to Cornell)
Excellent 24/7 ancillary staff (I've never placed an IV, foley, NG, etc)
Complete EMR at all systems (notes, orders, etc), incl access from home
100% medical/dental/vision insurance premiums paid by IU (families covered 100% too)

Cons:
Difficult to obtain yearly book money (must obtain 100-125 conferences/yr)
Few free lunches (when not on call)
Seems to be recruiting more FMGs each year, but I think this is changing with the new PD (my opinion is the old PD who left was hindering our recruiting efforts)

If any specific q's, don't hesitate to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
My old roommate is doing IM at IU. GREAT program, agree with everything said below, never heard about card swiping. PD is supposed to be a nice, funny, chilled out guy. Chair = genius.

Only con = Indianapolis. Otherwise, I understand that this program would be higher on many people's lists especially if considering GI and H/O.

I'm an upper level resident at IU for IM. Did med school here as well. I'm very happy with my choice.

I do not consider our program malignant. It is a myth that we use cards to clock out with. We take the work hours seriously, and IU in general (regardless of specialty) has the residents log daily work hours online, in an effort to identify rotations (system wide) that habitually break the work hour restrictions. I have logged my hours since day 1, and have NEVER worked longer than 30hr at one time nor more than 80 hours in a week. Even in the ICU. Have I seen residents surpass this? Yes, but it is generally due to their inefficiencies rather than a system problem, or their inability to sign out material.

Strengths:
EIP program designation
4 hospital system (VA, county, university, private)
Program reputation, cost of living (#1 most affordable major city per CNN Money)
Fellowship placement
New PD is progressive (old PD went to Cornell)
Excellent 24/7 ancillary staff (I've never placed an IV, foley, NG, etc)
Complete EMR at all systems (notes, orders, etc), incl access from home
100% medical/dental/vision insurance premiums paid by IU (families covered 100% too)

Cons:
Difficult to obtain yearly book money (must obtain 100-125 conferences/yr)
Few free lunches (when not on call)
Seems to be recruiting more FMGs each year, but I think this is changing with the new PD (my opinion is the old PD who left was hindering our recruiting efforts)

If any specific q's, don't hesitate to ask.

all the hosptials are EMR? when i interviewed there this year, i was told that the 4 hospitals had different systems, and that one of the hospitals had chart ordering still (no electronic orders)

VA: CPRS, notes/orders online, access from home
Wishard (county): Gopher, notes/orders online
IU Hosp: CERNER, notes/orders online, access from home
Methodist (private): CERNER, notes 100% online with orders being phased in, access from home

Methodist (private): CERNER, notes 100% online with orders being phased in, access from home

Hi IUSM,

I'm applying in Med/Peds and I am strongly considering IU as my #1. I was wondering how your interactions have been with Med/Peds residents over the years?

Thanks!

Hi IUSM,

I'm applying in Med/Peds and I am strongly considering IU as my #1. I was wondering how your interactions have been with Med/Peds residents over the years?

Thanks!

I've enjoyed my interactions with the MP residents. We are one of the larger programs in the country, and have excellent residents from all over the country. They are all down to earth, incredibly intelligent people. Not sure what else I can say, only positives.

The program leadership is also top notch. DJ is a resident advocate and uses his youthfulness to energize the program. He's quit a karaoke singer as you will find out.

Also, all of the hospitals (except for the VA) link up onto a universal EMR called CareWeb that I believe is only present in Indiana. This also includes data from the 3 other hospital systems in Indianapolis as well as many hospitals all over the state. This is fantastic because you can easily get hospital records without calling multiple medical records departments. When I was on my cardiology rotation, I distinctly remember being able to get cath reports from 4 different hospitals without placing a single phone call. It's amazing.

Resource: IUSM student

If anyone has more honest information about the program, feel free the contact me. I will give the honest pros and cons.

Hey IM'ers. Psych applicant here, just browsing and happened across this thread, and have some pertinent info.

I loved my psych interview and 2nd look at IU. Seriously. Seems like a great place.

The psych residents do 3 months on IM, and the only semi-negative thing one resident had to say was that the IM program is somewhat inbred, with many of the residents having come from IU med school, and also that many of the attendings were on the younger side. This resident did have the impression (after working there for 3 months) that the IM dept was a bit...arrogant...but not malignant at all.

Anyways, I loved IU psych, and I'd be willing to bet that IM program is pretty freaking awesome too.