This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dabears38

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a little input from the SDN nation...

I am seriously considering IU for residency but am having trouble finding outside perspectives on the program. At first glance the program boast some of the best intangibles I have come across to date. No other competing programs in the state, has a considerable catchment area, numerous regional centers that funnel high acuity patients to the main campus, resident driven program with no CRNA's (could be good or bad depending), focused primarily on producing excellent clinicians and not necessarily research heavy (but can be if you want it to be).

I am an MS4 from the SE and am also seriously considering some SE programs (UAB, Wake, etc).

Am I missing something or is this program really one of the better ones and it just so happens that it does not get much publicity due to the high percentage of IUSOM students it takes? Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks team.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be a hidden gem, but you'll have to consider what you do afterwards. If you definitely want to stay in the area, they actually might help place you. If not, you will want to be 100% sure that you can get in almost any good brand fellowship afterwards, because you might need that to stand out for the job you actually want. In medicine, it doesn't help to be contrarian: go where the flock goes, do what the flock wants. If you have any chance of getting into a big name, forget about IU, even if you will be 10,000 miles from your family. Go where the name is, and consider the long term implications of every choice.

I went into a hidden gem fellowship (where I learned a ton and had a great time) after a brand name residency and the employers did not line up to hire me. Their thinking was more along the line of "what's wrong with this guy that he chose that fellowship when he could have had almost any?". But I am a born contrarian, always have been. Or, in the PC version, "non-traditional candidate". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with FFP. I've found doing the fellowship and job application thing that a very important factor is region - if you really want to stay in the SE, think long and hard before you take a residency elsewhere. Similar for California, NE... programs in the vicinity are much more likely to have contacts that can be helpful. That being said, you will be spending 3-4 years at a given program/city so your own thoughts and feelings on programs are very, very important and shouldn't be discounted in light of what some might say here on SDN. What's attractive for you might not be for the next person, etc (think family dynamic or prospects for a single resident, etc...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid reputation based on what I have heard over the years. Best known for being huge and taking many of their own students (not sure if true, but that seems to be the reputation). You would likely be well trained if you went there, but, as was mentioned, the regional reputation will be better than the national reputation, which is true for the vast majority of programs.

Long-time lurker, but created an account to respond. I am a current IU anesthesia resident. Other posters have brought up good points. If you want to stay in the Midwest (and especially Indiana) going to IU will help. Plenty of my co-residents never thought they would want to remain in Indiana but ended up loving it here and wanting a job, which is much easier to get as a graduate of this program. You will not have that advantage if you want to end up elsewhere, but we certainly have any many residents go on to get excellent jobs and fellowships in other areas of the country.

The program does have a lot of benefits and has a track record for producing residents that are very clinically strong. Strengths beyond what the OP has mentioned include rotating through five hospitals (all within walking distance, three of which are level 1 trauma centers) with very different patient populations, a fairly robust abdominal organ transplant program, and excellent regional, OB, and peds experience. Indianapolis also have very low cost of living, and our hours are not bad. Overall residents are happy to be here.

We do accept a lot of IUSOM students.. however, each class usually contains ~26 residents, and typically 9 of which are non-IU students.

PM me if you have more questions. I'm happy to help!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Admiral. Try to go to a program near where you want to end up. Finding a job in another part of the country is awful if you know no one. My faculty and colleagues look at me blankly when I tell them I want to leave Texas and very few people have had anything at all to assist as far as job referrals go. Make life easy on yourself and think long term. Practice now where you want to live forever. If you don't know where that is, pick a place with a "name" or go near where you think you will end up.

Reactions: 1 user
Long-time lurker, but created an account to respond. I am a current IU anesthesia resident. Other posters have brought up good points. If you want to stay in the Midwest (and especially Indiana) going to IU will help. Plenty of my co-residents never thought they would want to remain in Indiana but ended up loving it here and wanting a job, which is much easier to get as a graduate of this program. You will not have that advantage if you want to end up elsewhere, but we certainly have any many residents go on to get excellent jobs and fellowships in other areas of the country.

The program does have a lot of benefits and has a track record for producing residents that are very clinically strong. Strengths beyond what the OP has mentioned include rotating through five hospitals (all within walking distance, three of which are level 1 trauma centers) with very different patient populations, a fairly robust abdominal organ transplant program, and excellent regional, OB, and peds experience. Indianapolis also have very low cost of living, and our hours are not bad. Overall residents are happy to be here.

We do accept a lot of IUSOM students.. however, each class usually contains ~26 residents, and typically 9 of which are non-IU students.

PM me if you have more questions. I'm happy to help!
You forgot the malpractice environment, which is the best in the US. And yes, you get sued even as a resident, even if you were only in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thanks everyone for the input. I always enjoy getting some good data points for major decisions and you all have certainly helped!

I agree with Admiral. Try to go to a program near where you want to end up. Finding a job in another part of the country is awful if you know no one. My faculty and colleagues look at me blankly when I tell them I want to leave Texas and very few people have had anything at all to assist as far as job referrals go. Make life easy on yourself and think long term. Practice now where you want to live forever. If you don't know where that is, pick a place with a "name" or go near where you think you will end up.
I'm having a hard time balancing these factors. Trying to choose between a "top" program in the city where I already live now, and a notably "good" program in the state/region where I theoretically would like to end up (the Rockies) because my wife and I are from there. I know both will train me well. The good program will benefit me far more for local jobs, while the bigger name will likely open more doors for the long term if we find we don't want to stay in the Rockies. Tough choices!