Indian cooking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I :love: indian food but have a damned hard time cooking it. anyone here have simplified recipes that you brewed up in college/home which i can steal :D?

i tried to cook chicken tikka, but somehow ended up with...burned sticks. biryani - bland. chicken curry, too soupy. hell, i even started watching food tv hoping to cook well. nada.

*sigh* help.

Members don't see this ad.

CaptainJack02 said:
I :love: indian food but have a damned hard time cooking it. anyone here have simplified recipes that you brewed up in college/home which i can steal :D?

i tried to cook chicken tikka, but somehow ended up with...burned sticks. biryani - bland. chicken curry, too soupy. hell, i even started watching food tv hoping to cook well. nada.

*sigh* help.

i don;t know if this helps that much but its what my brother does. Trader Joes (im not sure if there is one in your area) has this really good masala sauce in a bottle, and its already ready to eat, all you do is add chicken or vegetables or whatever you want (paneer :D ) and so whenever he wants indian food, he cooks up his chicken, and then just adds the sauce. i used the same sauce with paneer once (b/c i don't eat meat) and it was REALLY good. the sauce is like $2.60 per bottle (and my bro uses one whole bottle every times he cooks it)...try that. it DELICIOUS! :thumbup:

p.s. the sauce is called masala sauce, and its by Trader Joe's themselves.

I can totally understand where you're coming from...

I find cooking Indian food hard aswell... I can never make the food taste as good as my mum makes it... :( It's rather frustrating... I just dont know where I'm going wrong... :confused:

Anyway, if someone comes across a "chilli paneer" recipe, could you please share it with me? Thanks in advance... My chilli paneer turns out to be soupy and if I let it heat for too long I end up mashing the paneer... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
1hotaartichoke said:
p.s. the sauce is called masala sauce, and its by Trader Joe's themselves.

I'll have to try and keep an eye out for that down here where I live... :D

-me- said:

I find cooking Indian food hard aswell... I can never make the food taste as good as my mum makes it... :( It's rather frustrating... I just dont know where I'm going wrong... :confused:

Anyway, if someone comes across a "chilli paneer" recipe, could you please share it with me? Thanks in advance... My chilli paneer turns out to be soupy and if I let it heat for too long I end up mashing the paneer... :rolleyes:

Don't overcook the paneer, but mash up a few pieces just before you take it off the heat; this should thicken up the dish somewhat. If you wanna soften the paneer you're going to mash up, take it out of the dish and nuke it for a couple of mins (in some liquid) and it'll break down fairly easily.

Cooking basic Indian food is easy.

1) chop and sautee onions until they have a somewhat carmelized color (read: black)

2) Add one can of stewed tomatoes, 2 tbsps of white vinegar, and 3 tbsps of masala powder*

3) Allow to cook on medium temperature for about 10 minutes, if necessary, depending on how you like your curry, add water.

4) Add the appropriate meat and cook until done

*this part is easy for me because my mom makes different masala mixtures and gives them to me...some are used for fish, some used for beef etc

PS. Indian food (in my opinion) tastes better the next day, after the spices etc have had the chance to soak into the meet.

Good luck!

CaptainJack02 said:

*sigh* help.

try "MIRCH MASALA" microwave dinners..they rock. lol

-me- said:

Hey you r supposed to add the paneer only after your gravy is ready and then just simmer it for a minute or two and thats it.YUMMY!!

Buckeye(OH) said:
Cooking basic Indian food is easy.

1) chop and sautee onions until they have a somewhat carmelized color (read: black)

2) Add one can of stewed tomatoes, 2 tbsps of white vinegar, and 3 tbsps of masala powder*

3) Allow to cook on medium temperature for about 10 minutes, if necessary, depending on how you like your curry, add water.

4) Add the appropriate meat and cook until done

*this part is easy for me because my mom makes different masala mixtures and gives them to me...some are used for fish, some used for beef etc

PS. Indian food (in my opinion) tastes better the next day, after the spices etc have had the chance to soak into the meet.

Good luck!

Nice style but vinegar is not something that is used very frequently in indian cooking coz it gives a particular taste.i think using garlic and ginger paste would give it a more indianized taste.Anyways,the choice ris yours.

parasiteatwork said:
Nice style but vinegar is not something that is used very frequently in indian cooking coz it gives a particular taste.i think using garlic and ginger paste would give it a more indianized taste.Anyways,the choice ris yours.

My mom uses it all the time in her South Indian cooking....either way, 2 tbsps isn't going to overpower anything.

Buckeye(OH) said:
My mom uses it all the time in her South Indian cooking....either way, 2 tbsps isn't going to overpower anything.

Well Mom knows best...sorry

Thank you H20 and Parasiteatwork, I'll surely try out your tips... and if the paneer still doesnt turn out right, I'll know who to blame! :p J/K! :D

parasiteatwork said:
Well Mom knows best...sorry

Well, if you are being sarcastic then I didnt mean to make it sound like my mom knows everything. With that said, she is probably one of the best S. Indian cooks who's food I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Funny how when I was younger, all I wanted was American food....now, all I want is Indian food :eek:

Buckeye(OH) said:
Well, if you are being sarcastic then I didnt mean to make it sound like my mom knows everything. With that said, she is probably one of the best S. Indian cooks who's food I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Funny how when I was younger, all I wanted was American food....now, all I want is Indian food :eek:
Hey....comeone I was not being sarcastic.....i really meant it !!!
And ofcourse every single on this planet considers their mom's cooking as the best...and u r no different.

im taking applications :D

yeah...thats why he isn't interested in you :p