INDIA FORUM IS SOOO BORING (part 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

data

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
boring.gif

Members don't see this ad.

True it is....so let's talk about something related to India....

Bollywood anyone? The latest flicks? Anyone seen Mangal Pandey? Thoughts? Feelings? Concerns? Feel free to submit your do paise...

shivalrous said:
True it is....so let's talk about something related to India....

Bollywood anyone? The latest flicks? Anyone seen Mangal Pandey? Thoughts? Feelings? Concerns? Feel free to submit your do paise...
I want to see that movie, but never got the chance to do so as of yet. The music isn't too bad.

I'll bet every Post-Colonial South Asian lit class will be making this a mandatory viewing (I know my prof can't wait to see this).

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
I want to see that movie, but never got the chance to do so as of yet. The music isn't too bad.

I'll bet every Post-Colonial South Asian lit class will be making this a mandatory viewing (I know my prof can't wait to see this).

The movie sucked in my opinion. I felt it was a waste of a good 3 hours. The patriotism theme has to be done very carefully. I wasn't sure what either Rani Mukherjee or Amisha Patel were really doing in the movie. Not like their characters were inherent towards the plot.

shivalrous said:
The movie sucked in my opinion. I felt it was a waste of a good 3 hours. The patriotism theme has to be done very carefully. I wasn't sure what either Rani Mukherjee or Amisha Patel were really doing in the movie. Not like their characters were inherent towards the plot.
Aww... I was hoping for this movie to be good. I guess I'll have to download this one.

sunny123 said:
Aww... I was hoping for this movie to be good. I guess I'll have to download this one.

Definitely save your money on this one....It reminded me of a very poorly done version of Kranthi (1979) with Manoj Kumar, Shatrughan Sinha, and Hema Malini.

movie is just ok ...if one is nota khan-fan ..... BTW anyone read the REAL STORY behind the mutiny 1857 ? the role of mangal pandey is really hilarious in it !

nokia said:
movie is just ok ...if one is nota khan-fan ..... BTW anyone read the REAL STORY behind the mutiny 1857 ? the role of mangal pandey is really hilarious in it !

if u want to know the real story of mangal pandey is read u can read this book. Though i havent personally read it here is its brief review-

2005070300100201.jpg

TRUTH, it is often said, lies somewhere in between. So, what the British prefer to call the Revolt of 1857, goes down in Indian history as "The First War of Indian Independence", and the debate rages even as India is set to celebrate the 150th anniversary of that event in 2007.

Likewise, argues Rudrangshu Mukherjee in his book on Mangal Pandey, the truth of the "sepoy" — eulogised as the man who single-handedly started the 1857 Rising — lies somewhere in between the title of his book: "Brave Martyr or Accidental Hero".

Toeing a line that could well be seen as irreverent to nationalist history, Mukherjee's contention is: "The reason for the attention given to Mangal Pandey lies not in the significance of his own actions but in the actions of the sepoys of north India who took to arms in the summer of 1857. Historians have assumed a link between Mangal Pandey and the uprising of 1857 and thus a legend has been created around his name."

To buttress his argument, Mukherjee cites the practically-unheard-of mutiny in Barrackpore itself 33 years before Mangal Pandey's action. Over 200 soldiers were killed, yet the first full-scale study of the 1824 mutiny in Barrackpore — which managed to spread only as far as Rungpore in Assam the year after — appeared only in 2003!

have u seen that movie?? ppl who saw it say its very bad but as far as that vari vari song is there i am not going to complain..... :p but i dont think i'm going watch it anyway.

shardul said:
have u seen that movie?? ppl who saw it say its very bad but as far as that vari vari song is there i am not going to complain..... :p but i dont think i'm going watch it anyway.

havent seen it yet. Last movie i saw was Madagascar, its such a funtastic movie u must see it.

*TRINITY* said:
if u want to know the real story of mangal pandey is read u can read this book. Though i havent personally read it here is its brief review-

2005070300100201.jpg

TRUTH, it is often said, lies somewhere in between. So, what the British prefer to call the Revolt of 1857, goes down in Indian history as "The First War of Indian Independence", and the debate rages even as India is set to celebrate the 150th anniversary of that event in 2007.

Likewise, argues Rudrangshu Mukherjee in his book on Mangal Pandey, the truth of the "sepoy" — eulogised as the man who single-handedly started the 1857 Rising — lies somewhere in between the title of his book: "Brave Martyr or Accidental Hero".

Toeing a line that could well be seen as irreverent to nationalist history, Mukherjee's contention is: "The reason for the attention given to Mangal Pandey lies not in the significance of his own actions but in the actions of the sepoys of north India who took to arms in the summer of 1857. Historians have assumed a link between Mangal Pandey and the uprising of 1857 and thus a legend has been created around his name."

To buttress his argument, Mukherjee cites the practically-unheard-of mutiny in Barrackpore itself 33 years before Mangal Pandey's action. Over 200 soldiers were killed, yet the first full-scale study of the 1824 mutiny in Barrackpore — which managed to spread only as far as Rungpore in Assam the year after — appeared only in 2003!

Thanks for the post Trinity...will definitely have to do more research into why the 1824 mutiny went unheard of and how Mangal became epitomized.

Are you trying to be funny boy(Shyam Selvadurai)?

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
I am as funny as my boy AL over here

7067046_9c1adbedd0.jpg
I don't understand? funny boy's bf?

et tu fatigue?

NO i was not part of the ceaser assasination.

data said:
NO i was not part of the ceaser assasination.
I don't get... You're saying that you were part of the assasination??
confused.jpg

et tu brute is a quote from ceaser...BOOYAKA

wow! both of your conversations are taking over all the threads...very very interesting.

sans005 said:
wow! both of your conversations are taking over all the threads...very very interesting.
We try and keep this place alive, well.... for what it's worth :D .

sunny123 said:
We try and keep this place alive, well.... for what it's worth :D .

It's not that bad, there are many many other threads that are still kept alive...that should have died a long time ago. :smuggrin:

someone make up a movie again. this time i want to be in the audience. :p

in aankhon ki masti se......

hello fellows long time i c u ppls !

Boinger said:
hello fellows long time i c u ppls !
Yoooo bhaisaab, I see ju, but ju cannot see me on the MSN! :laugh: ;)

sunny123 said:
Yoooo bhaisaab, I see ju, but ju cannot see me on the MSN! :laugh: ;)
i know professor!

thats cause ur ass is never online!

Saw a major discussion on Mangal Pandey....well I haven't seen the philm.

I did see Salam Namaste the other day. Preity is yet again shown pregnant in another movie.

Ok for all you medicos, should the baby do his first kick at 7-8months of pregnancy or MUCH MUCH earlier?? The entire theater (yes even the walls) was laughing. Not to mention running around like a mad woman doing crazy dancing at 8 months of pregnancy....good GOD! But preity is a pretty girl and Saif is not so bad.

I like the movie, was kinda cute. Songs were nice too (but I fall for anything Indian, don't listen to me).

My 2 cents. :)

later all....

rayofsun said:
I did see Salam Namaste the other day. Preity is yet again shown pregnant in another movie.

Ok for all you medicos, should the baby do his first kick at 7-8months of pregnancy or MUCH MUCH earlier?? The entire theater (yes even the walls) was laughing. Not to mention running around like a mad woman doing crazy dancing at 8 months of pregnancy....good GOD! But preity is a pretty girl and Saif is not so bad.

oh dude!! :laugh: :laugh: yeah really but Yash Chopra films have something in them which makes us to throng threatres even if we know its all damn crap. This chopra guys know how to play with Indian sensibilities and emotions. When I saw Kal ho na ho i decided never to watch a Yash Chopra film again but in the end i couldnt help going to watch salaam namaste.... :D

Boinger said:
i know professor!

thats cause ur ass is never online!
Its Masterji :D

Don't worry bro, I'll be on soon. Just gotta get some jazz sorted through first.

JAZZ! nice

i need some jazz =P

did u ever log into my ftp and grab my music ? or did janhard give it to u all ?

i went to a jazz club the other night
it was fun

Boinger said:
JAZZ! nice

i need some jazz =P

did u ever log into my ftp and grab my music ? or did janhard give it to u all ?

i went to a jazz club the other night
it was fun
Jann Arden kept telling me about the tera-gig escapades, and I don't even know where to begin man :p .

Never been to a Jazz club. And this ladki keeps telling me I should go with her... the thing is, she don't know jack about jazz. I ask her a question about John Coltrane, and she's like who??

sunny123 said:
Jann Arden kept telling me about the tera-gig escapades, and I don't even know where to begin man :p .

Never been to a Jazz club. And this ladki keeps telling me I should go with her... the thing is, she don't know jack about jazz. I ask her a question about John Coltrane, and she's like who??
she might just like the atmosphere
jazz clubs are a really kick back place

excellent place to take a date
nice and relaxing they have drinks/dinner

its fun
u def should check it out

hey guys, long time no..talk... what's goin on? how's everyone's year going? i just took a practice mcat provided by kaplan today, and it was the first time i actually took one of those... yeah.. so um.. nothing interesting on my end. i'm just supposed to be studying for orgo, genetics, and psych, but obvs. thats not happening. peace.

Hey guys..:)

This thread is really cool...:cool: Keep it going...:clap: really offbeat...:hardy: