Independent Research and Thesis Included in AACOMAS sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Does anyone know if a semester of independent research will count towards the AACOMAS sGPA? How about two semesters of thesis?

I'm trying to calculate my AACOMAS sGPA but am unsure if I should add in my A that I received this semester from doing independent research in organic chem. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the answer to this?

You should email AACOMAS to be sure, but if it appears on your transcript as a class with credit hours then you would enter it and the grade as a class and then it would likely count as science, but they will let you know mostly for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with DrMikeP, as long as the subject of your research (I'm assuming it's a 199 course?) is in a science course, such as bio, then the grade will count towards your sGPA for AACOMAS. If med schools want to, they could also separate your sGPA, factoring out the 199 credit from your sGPA if they want to and just look at your sGPA based on the core prereq courses--but that's extra work on them.

I agree with DrMikeP, as long as the subject of your research (I'm assuming it's a 199 course?) is in a science course, such as bio, then the grade will count towards your sGPA for AACOMAS. If med schools want to, they could also separate your sGPA, factoring out the 199 credit from your sGPA if they want to and just look at your sGPA based on the core prereq courses--but that's extra work on them.
Appreciate the replies. Yeah I would assume that it's counted.....its a 392 level course. Let's hope so haha it's an extra A I can add into the already sub-par science GPA bahaha

Appreciate the replies. Yeah I would assume that it's counted.....its a 392 level course. Let's hope so haha it's an extra A I can add into the already sub-par science GPA bahaha
Worse case AACOM will take it out, as long as the rest of your transcript is OK you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk