Independent pharmacy square footage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n64bomb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to open your own store as an independent, how much square footage would you use for the

1. pharmacy department (dispensing, counseling, compounding, drive thru )
2. pickup
3. otc
4. bathroom
5. storage
6. consultation/mtm/poc testing/immunization room
7. break room/lunch room

Members don't see this ad.

If you wanted to open your own store as an independent, how much square footage would you use for the

1. pharmacy department (dispensing, counseling, compounding, drive thru )
2. pickup
3. otc
4. bathroom
5. storage
6. consultation/mtm/poc testing/immunization room
7. break room/lunch room
The smallest practically and legally allowable. Otcs are a waste of space. If you run your own pharmacy as only pharmacist you won't have time to do mtm with any appreciable script volume.

I know when allocating things the bean counters wouldn't agree, but I think a break room is extremely important for employee moral. I worked for a company that completely remodeled their breakrooms- they put really nice furniture, couches, nice paint, and cable tv. I noticed it right away and appreciated what they had done and was much happier taking my breaks there. Then I worked at another company that the breakroom was a fold up table and crappy chair, where when I was trying to eat my lunch customers would stare at me since the door never closed properly. Yeah it made a difference on my moral for working for those two different companies.
As much as everyone hates them though, I would probably counteract the really nice breakroom with a drive thru. This is America and everyone wants convenience.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know when allocating things the bean counters wouldn't agree, but I think a break room is extremely important for employee moral. I worked for a company that completely remodeled their breakrooms- they put really nice furniture, couches, nice paint, and cable tv. I noticed it right away and appreciated what they had done and was much happier taking my breaks there. Then I worked at another company that the breakroom was a fold up table and crappy chair, where when I was trying to eat my lunch customers would stare at me since the door never closed properly. Yeah it made a difference on my moral for working for those two different companies.
As much as everyone hates them though, I would probably counteract the really nice breakroom with a drive thru. This is America and everyone wants convenience.

Agree with this. I worked at Target as an intern and they have huge break rooms with TVs, a ton of fridges, vending machines. On holidays they would have delicious food catered. It was cleaned daily.

At CVS we got a closet with a folding table and crappy chair. The break room was disgusting and never cleaned.

Agree with this. I worked at Target as an intern and they have huge break rooms with TVs, a ton of fridges, vending machines. On holidays they would have delicious food catered. It was cleaned daily.

At CVS we got a closet with a folding table and crappy chair. The break room was disgusting and never cleaned.
I agree with this too.i interned at Kroger. Kroger had a good break room with booths instead of chairs, a TV, fridge, and vending machine.

You're talking about the break room for the entire Kroger store staff, not just the pharmacy.
True. I would imagine Target’s break room is for the entire staff, not just pharmacy

What exactly is a break room? I hear some other employees whispering about something called that but I have yet to see this mystical place for myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users