Independent pharmacy job wants Social Security #...is this common

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apple212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually worked with a big corp like Wag and CVS and I do know that during the application they ask for you social security... But being that Im going to work at and independent do they need a copy of my card?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I've never worked any legitimate company that didn't ask for a copy of my social security card.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a legal requirement, instituted in 2004 or so... all employers should be doing it at the point of hire. And when it was instituted, I had to bring it to show my then-current employers...

Thanks yall! Just wanted be cautious

It's mandated before first payroll for any W-2 employer. There are additional reasons though:
1. If the employer is doing a credit check, they are allowed by federal law to ask for it.
2. If the employer must use the SSN to verify non-public license, work eligibility, or other regulatory information (discipline, etc.), they are allowed by federal law to ask for it.
3. Healthcare is a "protected industry" under federal law, so they can ask for it period due that reason.

If you are going to work for McDonald's, it's 1 or 2. 3 is the reason for a pharmacist requirement, but 1 and 2 are also in play.

Lol how can you get hired without giving your social security?

Status
Not open for further replies.