Incoming Interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I pray I can be that civil, even from day one when I am a grunt. I mean, I expect someone smart enough to get through nursing school (and be qualified to then get a DNP) to have enough common sense not to call about such an issue. I have such a cutting tongue at times.

I am use to teaching in an inner city school for 2 years with heavy gang influence where I have been able to say anything I want, even shocking things at times. And before that 16 years of owning a business , and just firing anyone I wanted.

I talked to a classmate of mine for about 20 minutes about that very thing today. I will have a hard time not saying : DAYUM. Are you drunk? Did you do nursing school by correspondance? Is today your first day on the job (pause) - no that is a serious question? Is it? If you tell me its your first day I will be cool - but if you have worked here even 2 days I am going to crawl up your *** and explode. Hello? How long have you worked here? Do you need some extra fingers to count on? Do I need to speak slower? How... long..... have....... you...... worked...... here?

I am confessing here, not bragging. I really hope I can be half way civil and not get fired. Most websites I belong to and post on are for blue collar redneck, sports loving, gun toting, uber straight males. When I first started posting here I got numerous warnings for being a bit course. Its very hard to be civil sometimes in real life.

Last week we had alot of fights at school. Only time I have been scared there - and we had already had 2 gun incidents this year. But this day was something - numerous police cars at different times. Parents arrested for fighting. Its a crazy school at times. One kid had shot up a car on 87th and encanto with an automatic assault rifle with a 100 round clip - and other than that I do not know anything, I could not tell you who it was or any authorities that might be reading. The kid did not get arrested and had left the scene by the time the police got there - and I am claiming not to know anything else. If I am queried maybe it is all just rumor. I had a crip and a blood in my class, and held up my left fist and said this one is called crip killer and held up my right fist and said this one is called blood killer. Luckily they did not kick my ***.:laugh: I have cussed so much in the last 2 years teaching,.... how can I go all day without cussing?

But I am not used to being civil. I am used to threatening people in my work environment with violence and it being cool. I really am worried I can't tip toe all around the issue and be all polite to a *****. And then have that nursing ***** go on to be called doctor years later with a DNP.

Just wanna slap em silly :http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZarSjMWe6zI

Just word to the wise...if you make them mad, they can make your life miserable....

Just imagine those kinds of pages all night long from everyone, everywhere you go...be careful about the reputation you create for yourself...it will haunt you if you aren't careful

Members don't see this ad.

Just word to the wise...if you make them mad, they can make your life miserable....

Just imagine those kinds of pages all night long from everyone, everywhere you go...be careful about the reputation you create for yourself...it will haunt you if you aren't careful

You have to sort of tread lightly when dealing with nurses. It's weird and I'm not great at explaining it. If you just blow up at nurses, they'll complain, they won't help you out when you need it, they'll write you up and you'll end up having a little sit-down with your PD. If you're really nice, they'll page you for every little thing, they'll get pissy when you ask them to do stuff, and it'll hurt your ability to do your job effectively.

You have to try to strike this weird balance between inspiring confidence in your abilities and making them like you. It goes without saying that you also need to be good at your job also. It's like you have to be just arrogant enough (although arrogant isn't really the right word--I'm looking for somewhere between confident and arrogant) to inspire respect, and at the same time be likeable so they'll help you out with stuff and not hose you.

Sorry if that's a little vague but nurses have this sense, they can tell if you really know what you're doing (or if you don't). They can smell inexperience and just chewing them out all the time will make your life harder.

3 weeks for me to start internship... countdown...

Members don't see this ad :)
The nice thing about going to a program in a poverty ridden high crime area, half the size of Phoenix Arizona with twice the murder rate is - if I screw up and accidentally kill them while treating them, I either just sped up the inevitable or kept them from doing the same to someone else

The nice thing about going to a program in a poverty ridden high crime area, half the size of Phoenix Arizona with twice the murder rate is - if I screw up and accidentally kill them while treating them, I either just sped up the inevitable or kept them from doing the same to someone else

Yeah, but if you inadvertently kill a gang-member while treating him, the rest of his posse might come after you. ;)