In-Training Examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello... I know we are told in residency not to study for ITE.. but I would really like to review some questions and key concepts.. If anyone has the same thoughts and would like to study together ( at least for an hour per day doing some questions ), feel free to reply and we could work out some schedule ( I know residency schedules can be crazy ! )

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty are you? Every field has a different time and content for their ITE.

Whether it matters or not is extremely field dependent as well. For Surgery, it's very important - your scores are explicitly shared on any applications for fellowship. For Ob/Gyn, it's also fairly important if you want to do fellowship - while it isn't shared on your application for fellowship directly, most fellowship programs ask you to email them score reports.

OTOH, for Internal Medicine, it's pretty irrelevant, particularly as an intern. The worst consequence I've heard of doing poorly as an intern is your program requiring you to put together a study plan to do better next year. For 2nd and 3rd year sometimes doing well is a requirement for moonlighting but interns can't moonlight anyway.

YMMV with other fields

Reactions: 1 user
What specialty are you? Every field has a different time and content for their ITE.

Whether it matters or not is extremely field dependent as well. For Surgery, it's very important - your scores are explicitly shared on any applications for fellowship. For Ob/Gyn, it's also fairly important if you want to do fellowship - while it isn't shared on your application for fellowship directly, most fellowship programs ask you to email them score reports.

OTOH, for Internal Medicine, it's pretty irrelevant, particularly as an intern. The worst consequence I've heard of doing poorly as an intern is your program requiring you to put together a study plan to do better next year. For 2nd and 3rd year sometimes doing well is a requirement for moonlighting but interns can't moonlight anyway.

YMMV with other fields

I'll add for any future people reading this thread--peds does their ITE in July. Which means you take it as soon as you start intern year. The scores are used internally to track how likely you are to pass boards (and developing study schedules if it looks like you might fail), but that's about it.

I am in internal medicine... 3rd year..planning to apply for an endocrine fellowship next cycle..
The Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine - who run the IM-ITE - actually have policy forbidding program directors from making promotions decisions based on it and also from even sharing it with fellowships. It really is just meant to be a test to help you gauge your progress for the actual ABIM exam.

Reactions: 4 users