In-state tuition for veterans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

82Scout

Reaction score
I have heard some mention of some public schools offering in-state tuition status for veterans. I plan to ask the schools this question during interviews and did a little searching myself but came up short.

Does anyone know a list of schools or any information on medical schools that offer in-state tuition to veterans?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard some mention of some public schools offering in-state tuition status for veterans. I plan to ask the schools this question during interviews and did a little searching myself but came up short.

Does anyone know a list of schools or any information on medical schools that offer in-state tuition to veterans?

Thanks in advance!

If you are applying within 3 years of leaving the service, every state of Institute of Higher Learning (IHLs) are mandated to give you the instate tuition rate. The following hyperlink was last updated May of 2019:

If you are outside of that tenure-window, if you still have GI Bill benefits, 10 out of 10 times programs will not turn you away from getting the resident rate. It actually helps the professional programs when putting out diversity stats and the occasional (rare but it happens) outside funding for having so many veterans attend the specific program.

If you have no benefits and its been close to a decade, ETSU (East Tennessee State University) always offers instate tuition rate to anyone with a DD-214 no questions asked.

Reactions: 1 users
@82Scout While I cannot speak to every state, check out Ohio -- it has very supportive legislation to qualify veterans for in-state tuition.

Here are the requirements for residency designation.
  • A) The veteran must have been honorably discharged or medically separated from service with at least one year of service. Veteran dependents also are eligible if the veteran was killed (KIA), declared missing in action (MIA) or a prisoner of war (POW).
  • B) The veteran and the veteran's dependents must be domiciled in Ohio as of the first day of enrollment. In cases where the veteran was KIA, MIA or POW, only the dependents need be domiciled in Ohio.
As a Michigan resident, this broadens my options tremendously going into the application cycle for 'close to home' affordable options under the GI Bill.

Here's a link: Ohio GI Promise | Frequently Asked Questions | Ohio Higher Ed

As BC_89 mentioned, there is a lot of support for in-state tuition. I was recently accepted to Florida's PHPB program, and they immediately offered me an out-of-state fees waiver for my veteran status. I similarly reached out to the University of Louisville and was informed I would receive in-state tuition there if accepted. Reach out, and I think you will be surprised at how supportive the programs are. Remember that while some schools may not 'grant in-state tuition', they may still contribute Yellow Ribbon funding to bridge the gap.

Reactions: 1 user