In-State Tuition for OOS Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaarge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying to dental schools this cycle and am currently in the process of choosing where I want to apply. I was wondering what public schools offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students who go about establishing domicile/changing their residency while they are in dental school. I found this thread, which is helpful, but it's from 2011 so I'm sure that it's probably outdated as some states/schools may have changed their policy on it. If you know your school's policy or another's from researching it, if you could post it here that would be awesome. I've been able to find it on some schools' websites but not on others because it's not always advertised and can be hard to find. Or if there's another thread like the one I linked that's more recent and updated, if someone could link me to that I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you link me to the article post if SDN posted one please? I can't seem to find it.
The publication got held up. It should be finished today or tomorrow and will probably be published either Friday or Monday. I'll make an announcement :)

Guide in signature :)
OMG this is the best! exactly what I needed as someone who has no clue what aspects each school is unique about.
Thank you for your time and effort to help future sutdents here.
I will be printing this tomorrow morning and study thoughouly next week once I am done with DAT!!!

Here at Rutgers, they give OOS in-state tuition after the first year.

Off the top of my head, others schools allowing in-state switching: Stony Brook, Buffalo, UConn, UCLA, UCSF

OMG this is the best! exactly what I needed as someone who has no clue what aspects each school is unique about.
Thank you for your time and effort to help future sutdents here.
I will be printing this tomorrow morning and study thoughouly next week once I am done with DAT!!!
You're very welcome. Goodluck with the application cycle. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions :)

You're very welcome. Goodluck with the application cycle. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions :)
Thanks for making the guide!! It's something I really wish I had before applying. :')

Reactions: 1 user
Could I ask your comments on school list of mine?

I will have to contact them one each to ask about class expiration date since some of my classes are taken 6-7 yrs ago.
I have fine art background BFA and 1 yr in MFA, (design and metal crafting) and got second degree in BS Biology (to go to dental school)
but I had to wait till my green card to go through (It's almost done now), so I have been working full time in diabetes research lab past 4+yr.
I just took DAT, and didn't do as well as I wished, but I got PAT23 QR 18 RC 22 TS 22 (BIO 22, GC 22, OC 21), AA21.
My GPA is low, ~ 3.2 (I had baby in the middle of the BS...)so GPA is good-bad-good trend.
I know my stats is not great, so I chose as broad as I can (OOS and tuition is important factor) With two young kids, I also had to think location's educational system as well. I am WI resident currently. (when my green card finally arrive to my house, international->PR)

Marquette UIC NYU Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry Minnesota U of Michigan University of Maryland School of Dentistry Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry Tufts University School of Dental Medicine University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Oregon Health Sciences University School of Dentistry

I have little info about VCU and Oregon. Could you share any other advice?

Thank you so much!!![/QUOTE]