In-service question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm nearing the end of my first 8-week OP ortho rotation and my CI just confirmed "dry needling" for my in-service presentation. The clinic and my school don't have specific requirements for in-services, so I'm not sure what angle to go at when preparing. My CI just told me to talk about efficacy of DN in clinical practice and whatever else I want to talk about. Being my first presentation to licensed providers, I guess I'd just like some advice on how to prep for this since I doubt it will be as education-heavy as a normal school presentation. Any advice is appreciated, TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe pick 5-10 research studies done for the last 5 years or so and see if they say DN is effective or not. Do not read the entire study of course (unless you want to), just intro and conclusion, population/condition it was done on. Then you can say I looked at these studies on DN and here is what they found:
-If it is effective, tell what the effect is and how it is achieved (for example speeds up healing due to improved blood flow to the area)
- If it is not effective, then say, for example, healing speed was the same with and without DN treatment.
Then conclude with whether or not you believe DN is worth to implement in OP PT clinics.
Unless your school/clinic has time requirements for your presentation, do 10-15 min max.
Yeah, they are not expecting you really educate them on that stuff. Oftentimes they will not even listen what you are saying lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe pick 5-10 research studies done for the last 5 years or so and see if they say DN is effective or not. Do not read the entire study of course (unless you want to), just intro and conclusion, population/condition it was done on. Then you can say I looked at these studies on DN and here is what they found:
-If it is effective, tell what the effect is and how it is achieved (for example speeds up healing due to improved blood flow to the area)
- If it is not effective, then say, for example, healing speed was the same with and without DN treatment.
Then conclude with whether or not you believe DN is worth to implement in OP PT clinics.
Unless your school/clinic has time requirements for your presentation, do 10-15 min max.
Yeah, they are not expecting you really educate them on that stuff. Oftentimes they will not even listen what you are saying lol.

Thanks for the response!

That's the route I was thinking of going but I just wanted to make sure! My CI said I can have anywhere between 15-30 min so that shouldn't be an issue. My CI and a couple other PT's at the clinic already needle but I hope they can get something out of my presentation lol