In person vs virtual interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1141407

I am wondering, if a school offers both a virtual and an in person interview, does it provide any benefit in terms of admissions decisions to select the in person interview? Beyond differences in how you present yourself in person vs online, does it show more commitment if you select the in person interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. It shows an increased ability in terms of available time and financial resources to travel. If the school is offering both, they are not going to discriminate against one in favor of the other.

It's not a test. Pick the one that will play to your strengths, or that fits within your time and resource constraints, without trying to game the process.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I also received an interview with that option, and am opting for the in-person interview. In my opinion, an in-person interview allows you to better read the room and establish a better connection with your interviewer when compared to a virtual interview. You also get to tour around the campus and city that you will be spending the next four years at.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that at this point after 2.5 years of living on zoom, the main benefit of in-person is the applicant's ability to see the school, meet with students, and get a vibe. it is not admissions brownie points for showing up.

So if you can afford it and have the time, go in-person. If you can't afford it or have responsibilities that would make in-person burdensome and inconvenient, do virtual.

Reactions: 4 users
I am wondering, if a school offers both a virtual and an in person interview, does it provide any benefit in terms of admissions decisions to select the in person interview? Beyond differences in how you present yourself in person vs online, does it show more commitment if you select the in person interview?
Nope. And why would it????????

Commitment????? That's for marriage and joining the military. Your posts are dripping with this delusion about schools wanting to see commitment from every possible decision you make. Just stop it already. Med schools aren't jealous BF/GFs.

Reactions: 3 users
I suggest reading up on implicit bias. There are different things to pick up online vs. in person. You might be able to pick up some things if you go on campus that you would not on a virtual call. You might find that you would feel more heard with online vs on campus. You would have more to worry about with dress code and navigating campus vs. focusing on your questions and what is important to you online. You basically need to know yourself.

I do not believe that those who come to campus will be more likely to get offers than those who are virtual. When all interviews were on campus, they know what their success rate was in converting offers, and I don't think that would change. The rules will still be the same when it comes to extending offers only to fill a class by spring.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Agree with my learned colleagues above. One advantage of an in person interview, as I see it , is that during a personal interview, an applicant has a better chance to project warmth and connect with the interviewer. Much harder over the electrons imo. But absolutely, it doesn't support the notion of having greater commitment to medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
The benefit of the in-person interview is, more or less, just for you to determine if the area, the school, and the students are right for you. It's certainly possible (probable?) that there may be some unconscious bias (both positive or negative) with an in-person interview versus an online interview dependent on how you present yourself, but I can damn near guarantee you that there isn't a box on the committee's sheet for you that says you gain or lose favor one way or the other.

Personally, I think it is easier to present myself in a positive light in a online interview as you don't need to worry about body language or half of your interview attire. There's no risk of accidentally getting mustard on your white shirt during lunch and not being able to change, and nothing beats the comfort of your own home.

Reactions: 4 users