In need of some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicalatina06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I can remember my dream was to become a physician. Since I have entered University, I have hoped to be able to pursue this dream and keep my GPA high. Unfortunately, my gpa is currently sitting at a 2.48 and by seeing it being so low, it has discouraged me from taking the MCATs and pushed me further away from my dream. I am going to be entering my senior year of my undergrad studies and am looking for some possible way of perhaps even coming close to being competitive enough for Med schools. I would love to be able to get into a Med school in Canada (as that is where I'm from) even if it takes me a few more years than what I would have hoped for. I have gotten some encouragement from my family to attempt the MCAT and perhaps find another route to reach my dreams, perhaps a Master's program. Am I a lost cause? I really could use the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would taking a graduate master's program be the best way to go for me?

First off I dont think you are a lost cause. Since you are willing to take a few more years to get in that is good. I think you are aware that with your current gpa you will not be competetive to get into a cdn med school. If i were in your situation I would start prepping for MCAT and start looking for a good masters program. If you do well on your mcat then you know you have a shot at getting in if your grades are higher. At which point you need to work your tail off in your masters program. If your mcat scores are less than stellar then perhaps you need to really think about what you want to do and if medicine is the right or more reasonably a possible choice for your career. If you do get bad mcat scores then at least you will be in a good masters program from which you may get a suitable alternative career.

Good luck!

edit: if you are all about the MD after you take mcat but you grades are still not up to spec there is always the route of a carib/foreign med school. but that is a choice you have to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you considered completing a new undergraduate degree ? Some schools only look at your best/last 2 years so maybe you could get in somewhere in 2 years if you get a good GPA in those years (3.7+ with a good MCAT). I've heard it's better to do another degree than to start a master's...

You must study hard and you should be happy in what you are doing in order to succeed your dreams. just enjoy what you are doing for sure you can make it. good luck.

Having reviewed my course checklist, it seems that I would have 9 semester hours that I would be able to use in the Spring semester to repeat some of the prereqs for med school. Would this be highly suggested especially if the grades in those classes weren't all that great?

no, it's useless repeating prereqs unless you failed them. you should instead take new courses that you think you will enjoy so you can perform better

I was wondering, would it be better if I started a second undergrad degree before thinking of med school? I know I'm not competitive enough, and I know that some canadian schools look at the last two years prior to consideration. Would starting a BSc in Nursing be a good way to go? or would a masters degree be better?

So I am currently in my last semester for my undergrad for my BSc in Biology. I managed to get a 3.22 for my Fall 2008 semester with an overall gpa of 2.58. I am now at a 2.59 Bio gpa and I know that this is not sufficient enough to apply to any Canadian Med school. If I were to do change to an honors degree program for Bio, this would require that I upgrade a few classes, retake the class I managed to fail, and take one other course in order to get over a 3.0. Would this be an option for me if I wanted to get into a med school in Canada. I will also be taking my MCAT this August.

my advice to you is to start a second undergrad. you wont get in with a gpa that low. sorry.

Either that or give a Caribbean school a shot... Canada's tough!!!

my advice to you is to start a second undergrad. you wont get in with a gpa that low. sorry.

I'm quite aware...thanks for your advice. I've actually applied to a second undergrad, hopefully I'll be able to apply after 2 years in that undergrad. I'll have my MCAT done this summer however.

Hey!

I'm in the same position as you and I also applied for a second bachelors degree. I talked to many advisors and they said it's much better doing that route than a Master's because it's easier to evaluate you and most med school use undergrad GPAs NOT graduate GPAs. Also you get to start off with a new GPA!

I'm also doing my MCATs this summer! gl with them!

p.s. - I think you can apply after 1 year, right? It takes approx 2 years to finish a second degree and so you would be applying to med school in your 2nd (last) year.