This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boov

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personal Info:
I am currently a 4th year undergrad at UT Austin. I currently have a science GPA of 2.7, and a cumulative GPA of 3.34. I had received 2 Fs, 3 Cs, and 1 D for my basic sciences courses (Physics 1, BIO 1 and 2, CHEM 1 and 2) early on during my 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad and had semester GPAs ranging from 1.6 to 2.6. I had retaken some of the basic science courses and did not improve by much, often going from a D to a C during those two years. However, I had received a 3.9 GPA my Freshman year, and I received all As during my 4th year, and have made As in my Genetics, OCHEM 1 and 2, Physics 2, and BioChem course as well as my other courses. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have shadowing experiences, medical related volunteering and non-medical related volunteering hours, leadership experiences, and research experiences.

Also, I will be applying for Post-bacc programs to try to offset my low GPA.

My Questions:
1). If i were to apply for medical school without the Post-bacc program, what are my chances for Texas Medical Schools (i am a Texas resident), as well as out of state Medical Schools?
2). Around what score will I need on my MCAT to possibly offset the low academic performance early on?
3). Will completing the Post-bacc program (assuming I do well and receive As), help my chances of gaining acceptance into Medical School within Texas or out of state?
4). Are there any good Post-bacc programs available for someone in my situation?
4). Are there any advices you can give me for what course of action I should take now?

Thank you for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances for Texas MD are rather slim with that GPA, and unfortunately a stellar MCAT score won't do much to offset the GPA. A post-bacc program would significantly improve your chances at MD acceptance, given that you maintain a rockstar GPA throughout.

If you hope to avoid doing a post-bacc, my only recommendation would be to apply to all US DO schools.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Personal Info:
I am currently a 4th year undergrad at UT Austin. I currently have a science GPA of 2.7, and a cumulative GPA of 3.34. I had received 2 Fs, 3 Cs, and 1 D for my basic sciences courses (Physics 1, BIO 1 and 2, CHEM 1 and 2) early on during my 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad and had semester GPAs ranging from 1.6 to 2.6. I had retaken some of the basic science courses and did not improve by much, often going from a D to a C during those two years. However, I had received a 3.9 GPA my Freshman year, and I received all As during my 4th year, and have made As in my Genetics, OCHEM 1 and 2, Physics 2, and BioChem course as well as my other courses. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have shadowing experiences, medical related volunteering and non-medical related volunteering hours, leadership experiences, and research experiences.

Also, I will be applying for Post-bacc programs to try to offset my low GPA.

My Questions:
1). If i were to apply for medical school without the Post-bacc program, what are my chances for Texas Medical Schools (i am a Texas resident), as well as out of state Medical Schools?
2). Around what score will I need on my MCAT to possibly offset the low academic performance early on?
3). Will completing the Post-bacc program (assuming I do well and receive As), help my chances of gaining acceptance into Medical School within Texas or out of state?
4). Are there any good Post-bacc programs available for someone in my situation?
4). Are there any advices you can give me for what course of action I should take now?

Thank you for all the help!

Your sGPA is uncomfortably low and your cGPA is lower than than the average medical school applicant for Texas and when compared to the matriculant data, it begins to look worse.

Not all is lost, if you can manage an astounding score on the MCAT, >510, you could possibly be shown some love.

If that doesn't end up happening, I would suggest applying to TCOM and UIW (only if you're cool with the DO route and don't want to wait another year for admission).

Or, complete an SMP at any of the schools that offer them. The only one I'm remotely familiar with is at UNTHSC and it's very reputable. You endure the curriculum of OMS1 and retake the MCAT. A decent portion of my matriculating class is comprised of these graduates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile