In need of advice. I feel like I have lost my groove in 3rd year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrologyHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year med student at a "top 20" school." Thus far I have completed Neurology and Family Med. I am currently on Psych. I have gotten no official feedback as of yet though I have contacted the clerkship directors. The verbal feedback I have gotten after asking for it hasn't been very helpful as it is usually a passive "you're doing fine." I am not able to compare myself to other 3rd years as I have been either by myself on a team or with 4th years. My classmates who have had medice and/or surgery are lightyears ahead of me regarding their knowledge and efficiency with floor work, writing notes, presenting patients, etc. I am good with people, I guess, I was the class's MC for the faculty roast if that helps paint a picture. Unfortunately, I feel like I can't seem to find my groove this year and do not know how to go about finding it.

Any advice on how to find my groove?
Any advice regarding what I should do to save my ass if I get subpar grades in my clerkships, and fall below the AOA line? (our 3rd year clerkship grades are worth 50% of our final GPA).

Thanks.

My stats thus far: Step 1- 266, GPA- 4.0 (thru end of 2nd year, I have no feedback as of yet from 3rd year). Publications- 1 in urology, with a few more projects in the works, a couple of which will hopefully get published before my application goes out. Faculty relationships- I know 1 urology faculty member well enough to ask for a letter at this point. I attend grand rounds when I can to try to "get my face out there" but it hasn't gotten me too far yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year med student at a "top 20" school." Thus far I have completed Neurology and Family Med. I am currently on Psych. I have gotten no official feedback as of yet though I have contacted the clerkship directors. The verbal feedback I have gotten after asking for it hasn't been very helpful as it is usually a passive "you're doing fine." I am not able to compare myself to other 3rd years as I have been either by myself on a team or with 4th years. My classmates who have had medice and/or surgery are lightyears ahead of me regarding their knowledge and efficiency with floor work, writing notes, presenting patients, etc. I am good with people, I guess, I was the class's MC for the faculty roast if that helps paint a picture. Unfortunately, I feel like I can't seem to find my groove this year and do not know how to go about finding it.

Any advice regarding what I should do to save my ass if I get subpar grades in my clerkships, and fall below the AOA line? (our 3rd year clerkship grades are worth 50% of our final GPA).

Thanks.

My stats thus far: Step 1- 266, GPA- 4.0 (thru end of 2nd year, I have no feedback as of yet from 3rd year). Publications- 1 in urology, with a few more projects in the works, a couple of which will hopefully get published before my application goes out. Faculty relationships- I know 1 urology faculty member well enough to ask for a letter at this point. I attend grand rounds when I can to try to "get my face out there" but it hasn't gotten me too far yet.

Gosh with numbers like that, I'd say you are far ahead of the curve for allopathic urology. The publications only help you. You can learn alot of medicine in family med. You pick up a smidgen in neurology also. However, you will find that when you have your internal medicine rotation, you will quickly learn how to work up an inpatient and present.
Use your people skills and get to know your attendings if at all possible. At this point you need to develop connections in surgery, medicine and urology so you can secure some recommendation letters.

Finding your groove will come with time. Looking back....when you get to 4th year, all of a sudden you just have this vast knowledge pool. It's actually kind of scary because you know just enough to get you in trouble :smuggrin:. I saw a 3rd year student today when I was visiting a family medicine clinic to see a doctor friend of mine. She was asking what certain drugs were. Next thing I know I am rattling off the MOAs of drugs and relating them with the probable medical problems the patient has. She gave me this look of awe and said "I feel so far behind." You know what? I felt the exact same way when I was on my 2nd month of rotations. It WILL come with time. :) The grades, at least in my experience, took care of themselves.

Don't feel behind. I'd say just work hard and put your best foot forward. With good numbers and a great attitude, most likely you'll land on your feet!

Thanks.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I had the same "concerns" during 3rd year... I bet most everyone does. At 266, 4.0, + pubs, with urology contacts... you are light years ahead of where I was.

Does it make you feel any better to know that most of your classmates are probably having the same issues with thinking they are behind? Bet they do.

Keep on truckin' is the only thing you can do. We all improve.