In kind of a pickle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robot Unicorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will try to keep this short! Not really a WAMC, more just asking for advice on my next step.

Basically, I have a downward trend for my sgpa:

Freshman year: 3.22
Sophomore year: 3.72
Junior year: 3.47
Senior year: 3.00 (Had 4 Cs all of college, all 4 were this year :/ )

Overall: 3.31

How terrible of a position does this put me in? I've heard over and over again that a downward trend means you have to take a year off and do post-bacc work, is that really the case?

I ran into a lot of personal problems (family/personal illness (required surgery) freshman year, different illness that required surgery (again) junior year, and some really bad personal problems senior year). But I don't really feel like going into explaining these problems (especially senior year since it's extremely personal and I don't want to have to worry about how each adcom will take it) because I fear my entire personal statement will be nothing but excuses. Is this bad enough that it's worth the risk explaining?

Just to make things clear I'm applying DO (MD too but only the less competitive ones), have ~30 on my practice tests for the MCAT so far (taking it May so still studying) and have A LOT of in depth ECs (way too many to even list in the 15 slots).

I was wondering if maybe LizzyM could shed some light on how bad this looks, or maybe hear success stories from others with downward trends?

Members don't see this ad.

I will try to keep this short! Not really a WAMC, more just asking for advice on my next step.

How terrible of a position does this put me in? I've heard over and over again that a downward trend means you have to take a year off and do post-bacc work, is that really the case?

I ran into a lot of personal problems (family/personal illness (required surgery) freshman year, different illness that required surgery (again) junior year, and some really bad personal problems senior year). But I don't really feel like going into explaining these problems (especially senior year since it's extremely personal and I don't want to have to worry about how each adcom will take it) because I fear my entire personal statement will be nothing but excuses. Is this bad enough that it's worth the risk explaining?

Just to make things clear I'm applying DO (MD too but only the less competitive ones), have ~30 on my practice tests for the MCAT so far (taking it May so still studying) and have A LOT of in depth ECs (way too many to even list in the 15 slots).

I was wondering if maybe LizzyM could shed some light on how bad this looks, or maybe hear success stories from others with downward trends?

You're looking at DO at this point. With a 30 or so on the MCAT, you should fair ok. The downward trend is concerning, however. Also, keep in mind that your real MCAT is usually at or slightly below your practice test average. If possible get those practice tests into the mid-30s.

You're looking at DO at this point. With a 30 or so on the MCAT, you should fair ok. The downward trend is concerning, however. Also, keep in mind that your real MCAT is usually at or slightly below your practice test average. If possible get those practice tests into the mid-30s.

Oh I am for sure applying DO! Right now my main concern is whether or not I HAVE to take a year off to do a masters. Is it worth applying this cycle? I have almost everything in order already!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'd be in fine shape with DO assuming you can get a little over 30ish on your MCAT (like the other poster was saying). Obviously the downward trend isn't going to look good, but I don't see it as being a killer of your DO chances by any means.

Let's find out what your MCAT score is. If you rock it, you may have a chance at some MD schools, given that your activities are strong. Otherwise, DO sounds like a pretty good path to take.

It sounds like you are considering DO because of your GPA. It would be easier (and save you headache down the road) to take a year take off to bring your GPA up. You wouldn't even have to do an official post-bac program, IMO. If an osteopathic education is something you are truly interested in then your GPA should be okay assuming your MCAT is at the 30 mark.

In which classes did you get the Cs?

In which classes did you get the Cs?

Unfortunately, not good ones. I got a C- in physics (got an A in the first two quarters) and repeated it and got a C+ (this is the worst part of my transcript, no doubt). Also a C+ in Adv. Biochem (A in regular biochem), and a C+ in a microbiology lab.

I was wondering if I could PM you the personal problem I ran into while taking these classes and you could give me your opinion on it?

I got a C- in physics (got an A in the first two quarters) and repeated it and got a C+ (this is the worst part of my transcript, no doubt). Also a C+ in Adv. Biochem (A in regular biochem), and a C+ in a microbiology lab.
Right now my main concern is whether or not I HAVE to take a year off to do a masters. Is it worth applying this cycle? I have almost everything in order already!
The Biochem grade is the most concerning since its a med school class, along with the fact that the entire term didn't go well for you, as well as the fact that this isn't the first blip in your academic road. I am of the school of thought that adcomms might forgive lower grades for good reason, but that doesn't mean you don't have to redeem the impression they left. Right or wrong, the most recent grades earned tend to be considered the best indicator of your academic potential.

Fortunately, with DO applications, you can send later transcripts to AACOMAS and have the application service update all schools with further grades earned. Assuming the MCAT goes well, you might consider a middle road of proceeding with an application cycle summer 2012, but either delaying graduation or doing postbac work (if you're sure you have a good chance of getting a 3.5+ in some upper-level science) rather than a masters, and sending in summer (and maybe even fall term) grades to AACOMAS so schools know you're on an upswing, along with update letters about the grades and pertinent ongoing activities. I'm assuming you are enrolled in a current term, and maybe you can reassure us that better grades are likely to result, which could be the first "point" to begin an upward trend.

I'm not saying it's impossible that you'd get an acceptance as you are, if your MCAT score is decent, but with some extra effort, you're more likely to get an acceptance to a school you'd love to attend.

You might PM Goro, who has a relationship with an osteopathic med school, with a link to this thread and ask for his take on the matter.

The Biochem grade is the most concerning since its a med school class, along with the fact that the entire term didn't go well for you, as well as the fact that this isn't the first blip in your academic road. I am of the school of thought that adcomms might forgive lower grades for good reason, but that doesn't mean you don't have to redeem the impression they left. Right or wrong, the most recent grades earned tend to be considered the best indicator of your academic potential.

Fortunately, with DO applications, you can send later transcripts to AACOMAS and have the application service update all schools with further grades earned. Assuming the MCAT goes well, you might consider a middle road of proceeding with an application cycle summer 2012, but either delaying graduation or doing postbac work (if you're sure you have a good chance of getting a 3.5+ in some upper-level science) rather than a masters, and sending in summer (and maybe even fall term) grades to AACOMAS so schools know you're on an upswing, along with update letters about the grades and pertinent ongoing activities. I'm assuming you are enrolled in a current term, and maybe you can reassure us that better grades are likely to result, which could be the first "point" to begin an upward trend.

I'm not saying it's impossible that you'd get an acceptance as you are, if your MCAT score is decent, but with some extra effort, you're more likely to get an acceptance to a school you'd love to attend.

You might PM Goro, who has a relationship with an osteopathic med school, with a link to this thread and ask for his take on the matter.

I'm actually the most concerned with biochem as well. I was hoping the A in regular biochem might save me some, but I'm guessing that's not the case?

I am actually staying 5 years to finish up my double major, so I do have a chance at taking some more biology classes next year fall quarter. I am also going into my spring quarter with my problems resolved and am taking an upper division lab and neurobiology class, so I'm hoping to get As in both of those classes for now.

I wasn't aware DO schools allowed updated transcripts! Is this DO schools only? Would sending a letter to MD schools also be a good idea? Should I explain the reason for my grades on my primary application or later in my update letter? Sorry for all the questions!

I will PM him, thanks! :)

1) I'm actually the most concerned with biochem as well. I was hoping the A in regular biochem might save me some, but I'm guessing that's not the case?

I am actually staying 5 years to finish up my double major, so I do have a chance at taking some more biology classes next year fall quarter. I am also going into my spring quarter with my problems resolved and am taking an upper division lab and neurobiology class, so I'm hoping to get As in both of those classes for now.

2) I wasn't aware DO schools allowed updated transcripts! Is this DO schools only?
3) Would sending a letter to MD schools also be a good idea?
4) Should I explain the reason for my grades on my primary application or later in my update letter?
1) Not unless the A came after the C.

2) Yes. AMCAS doesn't do this.

3) Yes, this is the only way they'll know about new grades after you submit.

4) I think the best place would be in a Secondary essay, many of which can be suitable for this purpose: A stress and how you managed it, A challenge and how you overcame it, Explain a blip in your academic road, Is there any additional information you want us to have, etc.

1) Not unless the A came after the C.

2) Yes. AMCAS doesn't do this.

3) Yes, this is the only way they'll know about new grades after you submit.

4) I think the best place would be in a Secondary essay, many of which can be suitable for this purpose: A stress and how you managed it, A challenge and how you overcame it, Explain a blip in your academic road, Is there any additional information you want us to have, etc.

This sounds like a great idea. I'm just worried I'll never get a secondary to get the chance to explain, but hopefully I'm not THAT bad off? It has thought me a lot about being on the receiving end of medicine, that's for sure.

I'm just worried I'll never get a secondary to get the chance to explain, but hopefully I'm not THAT bad off? It has thought me a lot about being on the receiving end of medicine, that's for sure.
They can always ask at interviews if they want an explanation, but did not provide an opportunity with an essay.

Let me add another potential avenue: that it can be helpful to have an LOR writer who knows you well enough to allude to your challenges (or, at least some of them), which supports your essays, and helps raise you up above making "excuses."

They can always ask at interviews if they want an explanation, but did not provide an opportunity with an essay.

Let me add another potential avenue: that it can be helpful to have an LOR writer who knows you well enough to allude to your challenges (or, at least some of them), which supports your essays, and helps raise you up above making "excuses."

I am actually taking this path. The associate chancellor at my school knows me pretty well and knows what I was going through, so I think I might ask her? I really don't want to make excuses, although some of it will be in my primary as it had a lot to do with why I wanted to become a doctor (but I won't mention it in relation to grades). I'm really looking forward to making up for my poor performance this next quarter/year :)

1) I am actually taking this path. The associate chancellor at my school knows me pretty well and knows what I was going through, so I think I might ask her? I really don't want to make excuses, although some of it will be in my primary as it had a lot to do with why I wanted to become a doctor (but I won't mention it in relation to grades).

2) I'm really looking forward to making up for my poor performance this next quarter/year :)
1) It's better to let others bring up extenuating circumstances.

2) Stay healthy! :xf:

Fare