improving... still, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blenderx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I was just hoping to get some perspective... I am improving but still have a lot of work to do before I apply... here are my creds:

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
NY state school just graduate w a biochem BS. Major GPA: 3.44
Fall 2012: starting on an MS in biochem 1.5 yr program
senior year av GPA: 3.87
junior year av GPA: 3.07
sophomore GPA: 3.26
freshman GPA: 3.23
Currently studying for MCAT official AAMC average scores VR: 10 BS: 11 PS: 11 will take exam in 45 days
30 credits for MS degree work w/ 4.0 will bring my GPA when I apply to sGPA: 3.5 cGPA: 3.4
plan on applying June 2013 cycle
EXTENSIVE research- clinical in two departments for over 2 years, at a national lab for over 2 years, will write an MS thesis before I apply
EXTENSIVE leadership roles- national awards for campus club work, eboard positions held in years as undergrad, received awards from school of 25,000+ students for outstanding leadership and community service
Plenty of volunteering at hospital, fire department as fire fighter and EMT
strong letters of rec and room to build on that in graduate school
have travelled to several countries on medical missions and volunteer community service trips
TAd on and off the charts for Organic chemistry and general chemistry
letters of rec will be no problem.

Worst grades on my transcripts:
1) D (nonscience freshman yr)
2) C (nonscience freshman yr)
3) C+ (nonscience freshman yr)
4) D+ (nonscience sophomore)
5) C (nonscience sophomore)
6) C (science sophomore) 200 lab course don't plan on repeating... took 3x 400+ lvl lab courses and got As in all.
7) C (science junior) will repeat for nothing less than A
8) D+ (science junior) repeated for A senior year
9) C (science junior) will repeat for nothing less than A
10) C- (nonscience junior)
NO Fs (thankfully)

I am good with people, have worked alongside doctors for a few years and would want to get into a school that is research oriented. I will apply in June 2013 to a joint MD/MPH program as I would want to enter the realm of public health but only as a physician. I consider myself a global citizen so if I do become a physician I would want to be situated in NY but travel regularly to clinics internationally. I have worked in several third world clinics and know what it's like to realistically have sustainable medical influence in certain areas of the world... however an MPH focused on global medicine would help refine my knowledge and skills in this field of work. I'm doing an MS this June for several reasons: my GPA is weak, so I have to prove to my self first and foremost before I do medical school committees that I can succeed at graduate level science based work. I plan on increasing my GPA through the MS. Also, I want to know what its like to be the PI of my own research project therefore I will have my own thesis for the MS and will also be working alongside the chief of cardio at the teaching hospital i currently work at to have my own clinical research project. so for the next two years my goals are: increase GPA, MS thesis, clinical research (paid).

Hit me where it hurts.

Members don't see this ad.

30 credits for MS degree work w/ 4.0 will bring my GPA when I apply to sGPA: 3.5 cGPA: 3.4

Unfortunately, AMCAS will calculate your undergrad GPA separately from your Masters GPA, so those are set in stone unless you take more undergrad classes through a post-bacc. Also, grad schools are notorious for grade inflation, so adcoms will take your graduate GPA with less consideration. Do very well on the MCAT, and I think you'll have a chance as long as everything else is in order.

Thanks red. Do you recommend that I repeat courses? My premed req GPA: 3.49 I even TAd gen chem and Orgo. I will probably take an upper division undergrad bios for two semester and the summer of my application to improve somewhat my ug sgpa.

Also, what do you think my minimum Mcat score would have to be for me to have any chance? I'm aiming at mid 30s but do you think a flat 10 10 10 would cut it?

Finally, when you say 'everything else' is in check: LORs, primaries in before July ideally, strong personal essay... what else am I missing? I'm going for research pubs also but slim shot I have anything by June 2013

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks red. Do you recommend that I repeat courses? My premed req GPA: 3.49 I even TAd gen chem and Orgo. I will probably take an upper division undergrad bios for two semester and the summer of my application to improve somewhat my ug sgpa.

Also, what do you think my minimum Mcat score would have to be for me to have any chance? I'm aiming at mid 30s but do you think a flat 10 10 10 would cut it?

Finally, when you say 'everything else' is in check: LORs, primaries in before July ideally, strong personal essay... what else am I missing? I'm going for research pubs also but slim shot I have anything by June 2013

I wouldn't recommend retaking courses as AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement like AACOMAS does. At this point, 2 courses won't significantly change your GPA, but it can only help to have a couple of shiny As next to upper level courses.

The MCAT thing is hard to say. My advice would be to work as hard as you possibly can the first time. Don't even have the mindset that you could retake it when preparing, act as if it's the one and only. From 2009-2011, the acceptance rate for applicants with a 3.2-3.4 GPA with a 30-32 MCAT was 39%; 33-35, 52%; 36-38, 62%; and 39+, 63%. Just looking at those statistics, your minimum best bet would be a 36ish; anything above that would not significantly increase your chances. However just do the best that you can, and if you get something in the low-to-mid 30s, you'll still have a fighting chance.

I just glanced at your ECs and they look good. I wouldn't stress too hard on getting a publication out. Worry more about doing well in school and on the MCAT.

Thanks again Red for the reference and advice.

The reason I would want to repeat a science course I received a C in is bc the course is biochemistry I- even though I am going into a Biochem masters program and will be taking grad Biochem I think it would be a good idea to have a good record w undergrad Biochem as I believe adcoms will look at my grades in the courses that i took and not solely make a decision based on my GPAs (how correct am I in thinking this?)

Ive been studying a LOT for my MCAT and plan on taking it late August as mentioned. However if I apply then I will have more than ample time to take it again... are two good score better than 1 or should I not web venture into taking the test twice? Historically a majority of my peers improve their scores when taking it twice. I guess my question is whether I should push my test date to January and take it once or take it once now and get another score, ideally higher by a few points, in January?

Are you versed in how state school applicants are weighted against private school applicants?

Thanks again, any advice/wisdom you share is and will be much appreciated and thought over. Anyone else have anything to share please do

I just AMCASd my grades again and turns out my sGPA is 3.5 flat an cGPA: 3.34