Improving Inservice score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brigade4Radiant

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intern and I didn't do to well on my inservice score I got in the low 60s which puts me in the 15% percentile of ACGME em residents. My weak areas were cardiology, procedures and trauma. I used Peer 8 to study. Any suggestions to help me improve?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an intern and I didn't do to well on my inservice score I got in the low 60s which puts me in the 15% percentile of ACGME em residents. My weak areas were cardiology, procedures and trauma. I used Peer 8 to study. Any suggestions to help me improve?

I used HIPPO EM as an intern and killed inservice. It's about $250 or so. You can probably use your book money for it. Since you did poorly, you may be able to talk to your PD and ask if he or she would be willing to pay for it for prep (probably not, but worth a try). They are video lectures, but you rarely need to actually be at a computer watching the video. I listened to the lectures to and from work, and while working out. (Note: I have no ties to HIPPO:EM except for the fact that I sent them feedback and they sent me an awesome mug).

Keep your head up. Tests aren't everything. You have time. Just use this as motivation to become the best EP you can be.

Reactions: 1 user
If you liked USMLE world you may like Rosh Review. It's all online, tracks your progress, and let's you customize exams and topics just like UW. Pricing isn't too bad at all and some programs pay for it.

It's easy to do 5 or 10 questions here and there when you have time on your computer or your phone/tablet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you liked USMLE world you may like Rosh Review. It's all online, tracks your progress, and let's you customize exams and topics just like UW. Pricing isn't too bad at all and some programs pay for it.

It's easy to do 5 or 10 questions here and there when you have time on your computer or your phone/tablet.

I second this. I made the highest score in my program and I think using RR is why. Next year I will probably be using HIPPO EM.

I used HIPPO EM as an intern and killed inservice. It's about $250 or so. You can probably use your book money for it. Since you did poorly, you may be able to talk to your PD and ask if he or she would be willing to pay for it for prep (probably not, but worth a try). They are video lectures, but you rarely need to actually be at a computer watching the video. I listened to the lectures to and from work, and while working out. (Note: I have no ties to HIPPO:EM except for the fact that I sent them feedback and they sent me an awesome mug).

Keep your head up. Tests aren't everything. You have time. Just use this as motivation to become the best EP you can be.

+1

Haven't got my score yet but I liked hippo too.

There is am EMRA discount making it less than $200 if you go through the EMRA website.

HippoEM. Totally worth it, and a great review.

Don't go crazy on too many resources as you are likely on a sig budget. I read the 1000 Q's book after my intern year and seem to remember jumping 10-15 points. It's excellent bang for your buck. I didn't invest in too many other resources such as Rosh and PEER until I was closer to graduation though they are excellent resources.

I did HippoEM and PEER VIII and got 93% raw (>99th percentile). I highly recommend both resources. I used Rosh Review for intern year and thought that was good as well, but was too pricey for me to do this year. Maybe I'll do it prior to taking my boards, though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I second using these guys. Using the videos plus PEER VIII I managed to score higher every year.
Hey Are these the hippoEM everyone has been referring to? I'm curious since nowhere in the description is it referred to as hippoEM. Also the first person who responded said it was $250. Did the price more than double recently? It says 600-700$ on the link you posted here.

That's not hippoem. This is it: www.hippoem.com you can also get a discount if you get a decent group from your program to sign up.

I used hippoem and rosh review. I was not able to finish either of them. Maybe got through 2/3rds or so. I left the exam thinking I completely bombed it but I ended up getting a score that was higher than the average for PGY 1 so I am pretty happy.

That's not hippoem. This is it: www.hippoem.com you can also get a discount if you get a decent group from your program to sign up.

I used hippoem and rosh review. I was not able to finish either of them. Maybe got through 2/3rds or so. I left the exam thinking I completely bombed it but I ended up getting a score that was higher than the average for PGY 1 so I am pretty happy.

Or just go through the EMRA website and it's only $189

I bombed it my intern year.

The next year I used this:
https://www.intrainingprep.com (nothing to disclose on my part) and PEER 8 and did much better. I liked their study guide and still use it regularly and feel it was worth the money. I know many people that did HippoEM and liked it as well.

This year, I used the Rosh Review qbank and also liked it. The predicted score on there approximated my performance on the in service.

The areas you did well in are the high yield ones (at least cards and trauma), so with some effort, you should have a large degree of payoff.

Great. Thank you

Another random question for you guys. Which do you prefer: tintinalli or Rosen? I really hate reading. For boards prep and thru out med school, textbooks were my least favorite learning modality. I usually watched videos, listened to podcasts and did q banks 2-3x before reading the corresponding textbook chapters. I did well. I'm just wondering which textbook is less torture and easier to read for someone who despises reading?

Thanks !!

Another random question for you guys. Which do you prefer: tintinalli or Rosen? I really hate reading. For boards prep and thru out med school, textbooks were my least favorite learning modality. I usually watched videos, listened to podcasts and did q banks 2-3x before reading the corresponding textbook chapters. I did well. I'm just wondering which textbook is less torture and easier to read for someone who despises reading?

Thanks !!

Neither.

I just did questions, hippo, podcasts, and uptodate occasionally...I did great on the inservice and I'm only an intern.

Study what works for you. You don't need textbooks to learn EM.

Neither.

I just did questions, hippo, podcasts, and uptodate occasionally...I did great on the inservice and I'm only an intern.

Study what works for you. You don't need textbooks to learn EM.
Really? Wow. Impressive. Just feel weird not having a textbook. Lol. Like I wouldn't be worthy of calling myself an ED doc without suffering through at least one of those books. Also I'm talking beyond inservice scores. I just mean in general. To learn enough EM and practice well.

I'm in between Hippo and Rosh Review I did trials on both of them and I do like the Rosh Review questions as they seemed more like Uworld.

Hippo has less questions and the explanations are not as fleshed out.

Hippo has lecture videos while Rosh does not. Rosh is like UWorld for EM. Whereas Hippo is more of a course with some questions. It all depends on what you are looking for exactly.

I'm in between Hippo and Rosh Review I did trials on both of them and I do like the Rosh Review questions as they seemed more like Uworld.

Hippo has less questions and the explanations are not as fleshed out.

Hippo has way more content than Rosh if you are actually going to sit there and watching all the videos and do all the questions.

Rosh has all of the important points you will need to know for in service. All of those fun if this know that, etc stuff. Personally it was the best resource way over Tintinalli or Rosen's.

Rosh is great and currently have a discount code "SanFran15"

Any updates? I just purchased Rosh, and was wondering if it is still realistic to the inservice exam? Otherwise, it is nice and does remind of UW with decent explanations and illustrations.

Last edited:
Any updates? I just purchased Rosh, and was wondering if it is still realistic to the inservice exam? Otherwise, it is nice and does remind of UW with decent explanations and illustrations.

Rosh is pretty good. I did the whole thing along with redoing PEER 8 the week before I took the inservice and ended up scoring at the national average without much other studying the rest of the year.

The Rosh stems tend to be a little longer than the inservice ones and I thought a bit more of the inservice was just straight-up regurgitation of obscure facts. PEER 9 looks pretty good too; probably gonna hit that and 1200 Questions for my last time around next year.

I also used truelearn questions for additional qs. I couldnt bring myself to go through rosh twice...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk