Improve MCAT in January good for this year too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewendster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about beginning more MCAT prep (I took it and did okay in July) and retaking my MCAT in January with 2-3 months solid prep because I feel that I underperformed based on my TPR and AAMC practice test averages. I wouldn't get my score back until mid February. Would a score improvement, say from a 29 to a 32, at that time have any sway with schools that still have not made their mind up about whether or not to extend an interview? I know that a score improvement would give me more options for the 2010 year, I am just wondering if it would have any effect for 2009... I know UC schools drag the interview/decision out until late spring.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about beginning more MCAT prep (I took it and did okay in July) and retaking my MCAT in January with 2-3 months solid prep because I feel that I underperformed based on my TPR and AAMC practice test averages. I wouldn't get my score back until mid February. Would a score improvement, say from a 29 to a 32, at that time have any sway with schools that still have not made their mind up about whether or not to extend an interview? I know that a score improvement would give me more options for the 2010 year, I am just wondering if it would have any effect for 2009... I know UC schools drag the interview/decision out until late spring.

thanks!

By that time, most of the schools that you've applied to would have already filled their classes and probably won't look at your new MCAT scores. Some of the schools reject people fairly early on (about a month or two after you've completed your secondary) and none of the schools that you've applied to accept January scores, so taking it in January really won't make a difference for this application season. In your case, I think it would be better if you retook the MCAT at your leisure next spring and then reapply again next summer with your improved MCAT. If you absolutely need to be accepted to a medical school by 2009, I would suggest adding more lower-tier MD schools or including DO schools in the mix.

It can, however, make the difference in getting you off of a wait list.

Despite what they say about no scores after September, there are plenty of reports on here of people having success with update letters reflecting higher scores.