Impotence! Help! What to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but for obvious reasons I write this post under the condition of anonymity. My particular problem was never much of an issue because, for the sake of my religious faith, I'd sworn off sex and the like for...(you don't want to know how long). My wedding day is 6 months off and I'm worried.

As long as I can remember, I've been liftin weights/running/swimming/whatever else is painful and makes me sweat because, frankly, it's fun and I get off on the natural high. I'm one of those people who've been blessed with an ability to lose tons of weight, put on tons of muscle without much of an effort, and a decent physique, but not without paying a steep price. In short (no pun intended), whenever I start adding muscle or just go on an exercise binge (doesn't matter what it is), my ability to maintain an erection is severely compromised, I lose a great deal of sensation (I would estimate at least 50%), size, and vascularity. Imagine what sitting in an ice bath for an hour would do to the male member, and that's basically what happens to me (sans the ice). Provided that I stay relatively inactive, I'm actually fairly well-endowed and don't have the above issues. Start working out and I'm Richard Little all over again.

For a while, I thought the problem was dehydration, so I doubled my efforts to stay hydrated, without any effect. I do think it has something to do with blood flow because the effects of exercise are, literally, instantaneous. My working hypothesis is that I have some form of "pelvic steal" syndrome (briefly, "pelvic steal" is typically seen in guys with vascular problems; when engaged in sex, the act of thrusting via the gluteals, etc., literally "steals" blood flow from the already damaged penile vessels). I highly doubt my vessels are compromised; thus, I assume that the extra muscle simply draws too much blood away for me to function as I should.

As a future E.R. doc, this isn't something that I'm well - versed in, but to my urology bretheren, what would you recommend? Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

El Guapo777 said:
I do think it has something to do with blood flow because the effects of exercise are, literally, instantaneous.
Literally instantaneous? So, you've started a workout with a boner? :laugh:

I'm no urologist, nor a doctor, and certainly not a medical student. I work with teeth. But from reading your post maybe you shouldn't be going on "exercise binges." I don't think that "binges" are good in any context.. alcohol, food, exercise. Try to do a regular amount of exercise every day, and don't stress yourself out too much.

Your schlong will be in our thoughts. Good luck. :luck:

El Guapo777 said:
Not that it matters, but for obvious reasons I write this post under the condition of anonymity. My particular problem was never much of an issue because, for the sake of my religious faith, I'd sworn off sex and the like for...(you don't want to know how long). My wedding day is 6 months off and I'm worried.

As long as I can remember, I've been liftin weights/running/swimming/whatever else is painful and makes me sweat because, frankly, it's fun and I get off on the natural high. I'm one of those people who've been blessed with an ability to lose tons of weight, put on tons of muscle without much of an effort, and a decent physique, but not without paying a steep price. In short (no pun intended), whenever I start adding muscle or just go on an exercise binge (doesn't matter what it is), my ability to maintain an erection is severely compromised, I lose a great deal of sensation (I would estimate at least 50%), size, and vascularity. Imagine what sitting in an ice bath for an hour would do to the male member, and that's basically what happens to me (sans the ice). Provided that I stay relatively inactive, I'm actually fairly well-endowed and don't have the above issues. Start working out and I'm Richard Little all over again.

For a while, I thought the problem was dehydration, so I doubled my efforts to stay hydrated, without any effect. I do think it has something to do with blood flow because the effects of exercise are, literally, instantaneous. My working hypothesis is that I have some form of "pelvic steal" syndrome (briefly, "pelvic steal" is typically seen in guys with vascular problems; when engaged in sex, the act of thrusting via the gluteals, etc., literally "steals" blood flow from the already damaged penile vessels). I highly doubt my vessels are compromised; thus, I assume that the extra muscle simply draws too much blood away for me to function as I should.

As a future E.R. doc, this isn't something that I'm well - versed in, but to my urology bretheren, what would you recommend? Thanks for reading.

Sounds like normal sympathetic response to me, remember erection is a parasympathetic thing...

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy solution...stop working out or stay celibate.

Are you on any meds? Are you a diabetic? I'm a psychiatrist/internist, not a urologist, but it could be you're anxious and your problem is psychogenic. If you're a healthy, young male, chances are it's psychogenic and most likely anxiety.

Do you have sx's of ED when you masturbate? If not, you need to relax and overcome your "performance" anxiety or examine your stressors.

LanceArmstrong said:
Sounds like normal sympathetic response to me, remember erection is a parasympathetic thing...

:smuggrin:

Also, when I used to ride my bike a lot (Tour De France you know) my perineal area would get all numb even with the most comfortable shorts and saddle after the first few dozen miles...

Are u using any kind of hormones to increase the size of your muscles, like testosterone?

The flaccid penis does not shrink in size, regardless of how much activity you are engaged in.
This is not a "steal" syndrome in the way that you describe it.
It is not possible for your muscles to be drawing away too much blood from your penis. You should see a urologist for a checkup. It is possible that it is pyschogenic but you should rule out other causes first.

I agree with Henson. If you're uncertain whether this is a psychogenic or organic impotence, you should have a doppler ultrasound of your penis under alprostadil (intracavernosal injection) to produce an artificial erection and see if there's really a vasogenic cause for your impotence. Obviously, you need first an evaluation from a urologist

Seeking medical advice is a violation of the SDN Terms of Service Agreement. These forums are for discussions between students, residents, and others in the field.

Having said that, I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.