Important things

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdoscience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that interviews are winding down, and it's almost rank list time, I thought I'd list what I think is important about a program when making your list, and get other people's opinions, too.

I want to include some things that I didn't know to care about when I made my rank list last year, as well as the standard things I did know.

Here are the givens. The relative importance of each of these is highly personal, and I list hem in no particular order:

-How much you like the city the programs is in
-Where that city is
-The reputation of the program
-The academic strength of the program in general
-The program's specific strengths (both research and clinical), and how they match your areas of interest
-Fellowship opportunities
-Call frequency
-THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR: He/She can make or break your whole residency experience.

Here are some things I either really appreciate or regret about my current program that I didn't have in mind when I made my list, or that have come up with some of my friends in similar situations:

-Whether you are treated like you belong to the Neurology and/or Medicine department(s) if you do your prelim year there.
-Call rooms near the wards you will be covering and/or the ER
-Parking
-Whether the big-name researcher does any research with residents

-Contact with med students, and opportunities to teach
-Good health insurance
-3 vs 4 weeks off a year.
-4 week blocks vs. 1 month rotations -- You lose out on 1 possible elective and 4 days off if you have months instead of blocks, and it introduces "fuzzy math" to residency work hour restrictions.

Now, I know you will probably be thinking more about the things in the top list than the bottom one making your lists (and you should), but don't forget the bottom list.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Nerdoscience,

I am currently putting together a list and this truly helps! Any other 2006 neuro alumns have advice on the assortment of a perfect rank list....

thanks again and in advance to any who have advice,:D

gluon

I am currently a PGY-2, and am enjoying the fruits of my labors from my prior matching experience. I agree with the above post, and would add the following comments:

1. Consider the overall culture of the program. This can be a difficult thing to get a handle on at first, but it will have a big impact on how you fit in. If you are into the "laid back, tweed jackets, beards, suspenders, brain vs. mind" sort of neurology, then you might not be so happy at a program with months and months of neuroICU time, even if their behavioral neurology program rocks.
2. Don't underestimate the importance of your peers in other departments. You will be working with other departments on an hourly basis, so make sure your peers in radiology, neurosurgery, ED, and medicine are up to your standards as well.
3. A free lunch everyday is huge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a PGY-2, and am enjoying the fruits of my labors from my prior matching experience. I agree with the above post, and would add the following comments:

1. Consider the overall culture of the program. This can be a difficult thing to get a handle on at first, but it will have a big impact on how you fit in. If you are into the "laid back, tweed jackets, beards, suspenders, brain vs. mind" sort of neurology, then you might not be so happy at a program with months and months of neuroICU time, even if their behavioral neurology program rocks.
2. Don't underestimate the importance of your peers in other departments. You will be working with other departments on an hourly basis, so make sure your peers in radiology, neurosurgery, ED, and medicine are up to your standards as well.
3. A free lunch everyday is huge.

Which school is this, that you get a free lunch everyday?

Which school is this, that you get a free lunch everyday?

You'll find that pretty often you can find free lunch even during med school. Three days a week easily.