Important statistic missing from NRMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Charting Outcomes PDF, and was wondering...where is the statistic of # of programs applied to/match success? I know the single best predictor was # of contiguous ranks, but that is predicated on being offered to interview, so clearly this biases the study to favor those who had the most interview offers, and thus are the better candidates to begin with. What I want to know is how many programs to apply for. I don't want to live in certain areas of the country, so I need to determine if the # I am applying to is appropriate. I still cannot get a feel for where I stack up (i.e. can I get away with applying to 35 programs or do I need to apply more broadly). The strength of my app will be research (MD/PhD and MS, NIH grant), the weakness will be step I (230).

For example, I came up with this list based solely on geography and some word of mouth stuff.
Kaiser
UCDavis
UCSanDiego
UCSF
Stanford
UColorado
UConn
Yale
Emory
MCGeorgia
Hopkins
UMaryland
BU
MEEI
Tufts
UMichigan
UNC
Duke
Oregon HSU
Temple
UPenn
Penn State
MUSC
UTenn
Vandy
UT-Southwestern
Baylor
UTHouston
UUtah
UVermont
UVA
EVMS
MCV
UWashington

Some of these programs I know nothing about, and I know there are loads of good ones in states like NY and IL that I am not listing. I am just curious to find out how many programs people applied for and wish they had that statistic on the chart.

Members don't see this ad.

dude didn't you already post something like this already in another thread? don't worry, you're going to do great i'm sure given you're an md/phd with a decent step 1 (230 isn't necessarily a bad thing for you) and presumably decent clinical grades (I think I remember you saying you're top 1/3 of your class)... your list looks great.

i take it you have no interest in being in fun cities like chicago and new york though.. i suggest you reconsider :)