Important Ques. for current students!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nae614

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially Touro students.
Hello,

I'm going to be a P1 student at Touro in the fall. I really want to prepare by reviewing the necessary material..
I'm wondering which classes I need to review for?? What do I need to review in OChem and Chem??
I heard it may help to memorize the names of some of the top drugs....Should I memorize the generic names only??

I would really appreciate any other tips that may help.

Thank you very much. :)

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to take a restful vacation before busy schooling kicks in. You can try to memorize the top 200 drugs (both brand and generic, and indication too, would be great), if time allows. Don't worry about chem too much, pharm school isnt chem school, no matter how many ignorant people tell you so. If you can remember the basic functional group, that'll be helpful. Some other topics to review: pH, acid and base, Henderson-Heinselbach (whatever you spell it) is a big part, polar/nonpolar. Review some basic physiology would be good, also. But even if you don't review anything, that's fine. They'll cover the basic concept you need again. Relax........

I agree with the above poster. I tried to study the top 200 drugs. It's hard just to randomly learn them. Needless to say, I didn't remember anything I looked at over the summer before pharmacy school. You'll have plenty of time to learn while in pharmacy school, don't rush. Just enjoy life while you still can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy this summer. Once you start in you will have opportunities to review whatever you may need to remeber. This will be one of your last free summers, so enjoy it ;)

Hopefully you don't have to take any summer school classes to complete pre-reqs. That could lead to burn-out.

I wanted to do the same thing as you last summer but I am glad I didn't, I just enjoyed the summer and you should do the same. Don't worry about learning the top 200, you will learn them in school and out as an intern, and it will be easier learning them then. If you really want to review, read over some chapter summaries in old text books right before school starts.

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

btw, someone here said "this will be one of your last free summers"...I'll be going to Touro....we get summers off right?? :confused:

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

btw, someone here said "this will be one of your last free summers"...I'll be going to Touro....we get summers off right?? :confused:

Yes, technically you do but chances that you will spend you summer working. Of course, it's not required that you do so but chances that you will go with flow bc that's what most of your classmates will be doing.

to the op, stop being so uptight and enjoy since you won't be for a long time. if you know your stuff and didn't cheat your way up to this point, everything will be fine. i don't know about other people but pharmacy school isn't very hard. it's more about time management.

Screw em...if you want to study go right ahead. Things that will probably help you...physiology, acid/base chemistry basics, and top 200 (not a necessity but it will help you if you don't have to learn them later.) Contrary to what seems like popular belief, you can brush up on this and still enjoy your summer.

Many of my classmates asked the same thing before we began and were basically told the same thing...enjoy your summer. Unless you have a structured study plan that coincides with the lecture materials you'll see in the first semester/block then you won't get much for you time investment. The thing to study/read would be current and important issues in pharmacy. You'll get lots of that in Track 3, and you'll probably moan and groan with all the presentations your group will have to do, but being in the know with new drugs, legal issues, etc. is something we should do throughout our careers. Also, becoming more knowledgeable about the profession doesn't even feel like studying so you'll still get to really enjoy your summer.

As for the summer between years, you'll likely seek employment. It's good for networking, experience, accruing hours for your license, and extra money. During the first semester we'll probably have another career fair and you'll be able to get in touch with all the local retail chains and hospitals. The only thing is since our semesters are about 19 weeks long the summer won't be that long. Good luck with the rest of school if that's that case and I'll see you come August.

Especially Touro students.
Hello,

I'm going to be a P1 student at Touro in the fall. I really want to prepare by reviewing the necessary material..
I'm wondering which classes I need to review for?? What do I need to review in OChem and Chem??
I heard it may help to memorize the names of some of the top drugs....Should I memorize the generic names only??

I would really appreciate any other tips that may help.

Thank you very much. :)
wow, you're so gunho..

wow, you're so gunho..

No, not really....I'm just starting to get nervous and a little stressed. Everyone's telling me that once I start school, I won't have any time to do anything else...and I just want to be as prepared as possible so I can have a life outside of school.....really don't want to be studying 24/7.

Anyways, thanks for the info/advice everyone. :)

Don't worry too much, you'll still have a life outside of school. It just won't be summer vacation anymore.

No, not really....I'm just starting to get nervous and a little stressed. Everyone's telling me that once I start school, I won't have any time to do anything else...and I just want to be as prepared as possible so I can have a life outside of school.....really don't want to be studying 24/7.

Anyways, thanks for the info/advice everyone. :)

From personal experience, just an fyi, if you're the type of person to study for pharmacy school before it begins then you will be the person who studies 24/7.

Do absolutely nothing productive this summer and have fun, travel, do stuff, but don't work and do not under any circumstances study anything

that is all

I agree with everyone else - enjoy your summer. Unless you have a great memory, you'll probably forget 1/2 of it when it rolls around again and have to study it again anyway.

If your school does the top 200, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start trying to memorize them. There are a couple of different lists though, plus they get updated slightly every year, so you may want to wait and see what your list looks like before you put too much time into it (though the top 100-ish should always pretty much be the same).

If your planning on get a job over the summer and don't already work in a pharmacy, I'd suggest trying to find a job in a pharmacy. You'll probably learn more about the top 200 and some of the more practical aspects of pharmacy school that way.

my due cents:

If I could do it over again, I would take a vacation from any formal college classes; meaning, I'd attend classes that I knew would cover material in my P1 year, but not actually register for them. This, of course is due to hind-sight and the fact that I didn't feel as prepared for biochemistry as I would have liked to have been. So, if you feel the necessity of having something to study during the Summer, try doing it in a way that won't commit yourself to uber stress and allow yourself to take time to enjoy family/friends/life!

Hi,
I'm currently 3rd year student at Touro. Congrat on ur acceptance and enjoy your summer. Dont worry too much about it. You got accepted means you pretty much ready to deal with anything they throw your way (well, sort of)... just one advice, be very flexible.