Importance of Thank You Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosiers2009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are thank you letters when it comes to OMFS residency match. Can they influence the rank list? Obviously, I can't imagine they hurt you but can they help? Can it also hurt you if you decide not to send them? I was also told anecdotally not to send them by a couple colleagues this cycle. Let me know your guys thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

At the program I attended the rank list was made immediately following the interview session. The chair, PD and residents had a large meeting and the rank list was created.

Thank you emails and letters would have had zero effect.

Reactions: 2 users
Same. The rank list is made immediately following interviews. While a nice touch, a letter would have no effect on interviews

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rank lists might be made the day of the interviews however the rank list is not due for submission until much later. If a phone call were received by a PD indicating a candidate was outstanding or committed an ethical violation at their dental school, that could change the rank list.
Nothing is final until the deadline. A sincere thank you might help or make no change to your rank. If you interview for a job, and are highly interested in that position, would you send a thank you as a follow up?

Not a program director but I highly doubt they would help. That being said I still sent them when I interviewed

I admittedly have no experience applying to a residency. I’m a general dentist, so you may not value my opinion.

I feel as if a thank you note is not going to make up for your CBSE score or overall application and credentials. Likewise, not sending a thank you note is not going to negate those things. Therefore, a thank you note won’t have any effect on whether you match or not.

But I think a thank you note is always the appropriate thing to do to show appreciation. Don’t do it to help your chances. Do it because you genuinely appreciated the opportunity. Dentistry is a small field. People want to be around genuine colleagues. You never know who you’re going to run into down the road. Treat people well and people will want to be around you.