Importance of specialty specific research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southsidesfinest

Reaction score
Hello,

I matriculate into medical school this coming summer and I am completely undecided on what speciality I want to do. My interests, as of right now, are in competitive surgical subspecialties or cardiology. My question is how important is specialty specific research when matching to residency? I ask this because it seems as though a lot of research is needed for competitive specialties. Does this mean should I just guess what specialty i'm most likely to end up in and do research or do I pick research thats more broad in a sense?

Any insight or comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do research in the surgical sub you are interested in. Surgical subs are among the few that need specific research for the most part.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I matriculate into medical school this coming summer and I am completely undecided on what speciality I want to do. My interests, as of right now, are in competitive surgical subspecialties or cardiology. My question is how important is specialty specific research when matching to residency? I ask this because it seems as though a lot of research is needed for competitive specialties. Does this mean should I just guess what specialty i'm most likely to end up in and do research or do I pick research thats more broad in a sense?

Any insight or comments are appreciated.

Surgical subs absolutely need field specific research. Cards needs a lot of research too but you have time in IM residency to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started off with broad research. But of late I've been streamlining into cards research because that's my fellowship goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Very important. As soon as you can, decide which one you want to pursue and do research in that competitive specialty. When comparing 2 specialties, one of which is less competitive than the others, start with research in the competitive one. Cardiology is not that competitive in the sense that you have to match first into internal medicine residency, which, on the whole, have lower research requirements than competitive specialties. Combined med/cards residencies may be a bit different, as are "top tier" residencies which are also super competitive. However, based on my experience, those "top tier" medicine residencies still require less research than your top 50 or so neurosurg/plastics/etc. programs.

Reactions: 1 user