Navy Importance of Officer Development School (ODS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabiyou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hope this finds you well. By the Grace of God, I have been accepted into the Navy HPSP. My question to you all is how important is it to attend ODS as a former commissioned officer?

I was reading
NAVMEDMPT&EINST 1520.1D , and Chapter 7-3 states

"ODS is a mandatory orientation program to Navy life. Students with no prior commissioned service in the U.S. Navy or Marine Corps, or did not complete NROTC/US Naval Academy, must attend ODS prior to their first active duty assignment."

The reason I ask is because I graduated from the Naval Academy Preparatory School and Naval Academy, and was honorably discharged as a USMC infantry captain.

Would I be unprofessional If I try to fight going to ODS? Would I be seen as entitled by my peers and chain of command if I don't go? Would this hurt my career? Has anybody else been in a similar position?

5 weeks isn't a long time (in the past ten years I have been a midshipmen and junior officer). I'm not afraid of the challenges or being at the bottom of the totem pole again.

Perhaps I am not seeing the bigger picture?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, time, and advice. I apologize in advance for formatting issues as I am on my phone.

Edit: format

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can get it waived, you should do so. It is a complete waste of your time. No one will care.

I hope you feel as blessed about HPSP in 10 more years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll be an absolute waste of your time, except it might teach you how to march in a straight line since squids can't do that...I'm just jealous the Navy seems to make more sense of this than the Army...we were expected to act as impromptu secondary instructors at the OBC we had. Good luck to you in navigating the bureaucracy.

You are absolutely not required to attend ODS. If your recruiter is trying to make you go, he doesn't know what he is doing. Go above his/her head.

It'll be an absolute waste of your time, except it might teach you how to march in a straight line since squids can't do that...I'm just jealous the Navy seems to make more sense of this than the Army...we were expected to act as impromptu secondary instructors at the OBC we had. Good luck to you in navigating the bureaucracy.
Nowadays, they'll accept any BOLC as credit for AMEDD BOLC. So my first summer was just the Army paying me to stay at school.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Bahaha this is so true. When I went through the prior service guys were so completely jaded about the whole thing. I found it amusing at the time, but looking back now it was like catching a glimpse of future me.

Nowadays, they'll accept any BOLC as credit for AMEDD BOLC. So my first summer was just the Army paying me to stay at school.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Yes, Army accepts any BOLC as credit for AMEDD BOLC but they require attendance at BOLC for Army ROTC and USMA graduates ---- which is a waste for future Medical Corps Officers especially those at USUHS. My understanding is that Navy does not require ODS attendance for Navy ROTC and USNA graduates.

Edit - I might have misunderstood usma05's jealousy though.

I had a classmate in medical school who was a line officer and had already graduated OCS 14 years before attending medical school. From the explanation they gave him, if you already attended one of the approved commissioning programs (OCS, ROTC, Naval Academy), ODS is a redundancy and not required. He was not required to attend, had no issues transitioning to residency.