Importance of comlex vs step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellosnd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took Step 1 two days ago and obviously have not gotten my score back yet but I was wondering how important it is to do well on comlex assuming your step is decent? I have not really touched OMM since school ended and I never learned cranial properly bc of covid. I have Comlex in 6 days and I am finding it hard to get myself to study anymore :(.

For reference: I scored in the 230-240 range for my NBMEs and 250 on UWSA2.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Took Step 1 two days ago and obviously have not gotten my score back yet but I was wondering how important it is to do well on comlex assuming your step is decent? I have not really touched OMM since school ended and I never learned cranial properly bc of covid. I have Comlex in 6 days and I am finding it hard to get myself to study anymore :(.

You can watch the OnlineMedEd OMM videos, they're super helpful to watch a few days before the exams.

Comlex doesnt matter at all if you take USMLE and do well on it i dont care what anyone says. The only time I would say comlex kind of matters for the DO applicant is if they are applying Derm Ortho or any surgical subs bc they will be applying to/targeting traditionally AOA accredited DO residencies and those applicants typically have higher comlex scores (600-650+). DO should never bank on matching MD residencies in those uber competitive specialties. I also find it quite rare for someone to do avg or below avg on comlex and destroy Step 1. Comlex is just an easier exam overall (a lot more 1st order questions that dont require deep critical thinking). I scored very high on Step 1 and then didnt take comlex until like 4-6 weeks later without studying at all and still scored within the same percentile on both

Members don't see this ad :)
For comlex all you need is truelearn OMM questions if your school provides it, if not i'll give you the highest yield of highest yield

1- Viscerosomatics

2- Radial head + Fibular head

3- Spinal diagnosis + treatments

4- Chapman's points

5- Pelvis (hand finger diagnosis, physician vs patient force etc)

6- Sacrum

7- Both anterior + cervical counterstrain

Don't bother studying HVLA for any of this. Not many questions on it. Other counterstrain low yield.

If you know these things, you will answer 80 percent of OMM questions confidently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a PD, these scores are very important in stratifying applicants for residency, although not the whole picture. We look at everything including letters, dean's letter, grades, hobbies, etc. I must say scores help you get the foot in the door and studying thoroughly is crucial, however there are other ways to allow yourself to stand out.