Importance of Chief Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GKM1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in SDN for a long time. I could not find a recent thread discussing this and thought to post this here. Want to know what you all think especially those who went through the recent match.

How much does a chief resident year help out for Pulm Crit Fellowship?

I am at a mid tier IM program and have some research and case reports accepted as abstracts but they are peripherally related to Pulm Crit. I am hoping that an extra year would give some time to get more research under my belt. Otherwise I am US grad and I think I can get strong LORs from the PD here. Not looking for the top research heavy fellowship programs but a strong clinical program. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Will help most definitely .
You should match regardless unless there is some big red flag

Definitely helps...BUT you need to make it show on your app. No use doing a chief year if you haven't used that extra 1 years' time to pad up your CV.
More than half the places I interviewed at had chiefs making up more than half of the applicant pool for the day, but no reason why you wouldn't be as competitive if you've put in the work.

PCCM is much more competitive than it used to be, and a couple of case reports and posters are not going to do it, esp if you want to match into a uni program. I've seen it last year, and this year as well - they matched into the bottom half of their lists. It's no longer "Oh I had really wanted to do cards/GI when I started, but can't be bothered to put in the work to build up a decent profile".

Members don't see this ad :)
The last few years that I've interviewed applicants for fellowships, I've noticed that almost every applicants that I have interviewed have either published papers, and/or posters (or presentations) at either Chest, ATS, or SCCM ... along with a few current or former chief residents. The interest is definitely picking up (esp among residents, and now medical students are starting to express interest as well)

*helps that it is currently a very favorable job market

Thank you everyone. PCCM is certainly getting very popular.

I have a research poster as a first author in ATS and a couple as a second author from intern year. I am hoping to get some first author research abstracts accepted in CHEST this year. I have a couple of case reports in ACP. So not a whole lot. Again not looking for a research heavy program. But definitely want to match into a solid clinical program.

I really wonder how much chief year will add to my application? Will it get me better interviews? I do plan to use my extra year for research.

Unless you are set on doing a Chief year, I think you will be more than fine. I had way less then that and got into a solid uni program. My residency program did not have a in-house pulmonary fellowship, and many would call it uni/community affiliated. Being a US grad is going to help definitely. Apply broadly and kill those interviews. Good Luck!