IMPORANT ADVICE NEEDED FROM THE PM&R Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone. I didn't match to PM&R this year, and tried participating in the scramble without success. I failed Step 2 CS, which may have been the reason I didn't ended up matching. I am not going to whine about it, but I had payed for a Falcon Reviews Test prior to going for the real thing. I felt confident that I knew all the stuff. Anyway, the results came back and said the I had failed CIS (Not the English Spoken part, but Communication skills in general), I am planning on submitting everything very early through ERAS for the Next academic year (2006), since I don't want to run any chances. One of my concerns is whether I should authorize a realease history for my Step 2CS on the ERAS electronic website. It wouldn't look good for the commitees to see that failure, but at the same time I am certain that it will be a requirement maybe for even calling you for an interview (You guys may comment on that.) Anyway, I am thinking of retaking the TEST as SOON as possible; Most probably during sometime during September of this year. The thing is that if I haven't authorized a realease history for my Step 2CS how will the commitees know whether I passed this test? Should I just take a copy of it to the interviews when I get my results back which will say pass (Hopefully)? I am thinking of applying to all the Damn accredited programs in the mainland (Pretty expensive, but I am determined and please don't convince me otherwise). I was also thinking of assisting to the Annual PM&R convention for this year and try to get some networking going on. You guys think this is any good. In the meantime, I will be doing an Internship (without monthly stipend) during this year. However, I am not sure whether the hospital in which I am doing it is accredited. Would this be an issue when it come to interviews? Thanks and all and any comments will be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite understanding your full situation... BUT it's never a good idea to attempt to hide something from the committees. Step 2 is NOT a requirement in terms of getting interviews but is a requirement for entry into a residency and at most med schools, for graduation. Eventually you would have to fess up and when you do, you're character will come into question. (i.e. if he/she hid this fact, what else is he/she hiding??) Taking a copy of the 2nd test result will only make them ask why you are doing so instead of having the official scores released to them. So you failed step 2 CS, take it over, be done with it. What you now have to work on is improving your application and trying to figure out what else went wrong.

Is step 2 CS the ONLY weak point of your application? Did you get many interviews? How do you think you performed at the interviews? What is going on with your intern year? Did you have to scramble for that spot too? If you are going to apply next year, you will have another year to kill, no?

If you are doing an internship with no monthly stipend - probably meaning your position is not funded and therefore may not be accredited, you probably won't get credit for it... Check with your current PD. If you are doing the intern year hoping to match into a PGY2 slot, that's going to be difficult.

If you're not getting paid and you're going to apply in 2006 which means you're going to have 2006 - 2007 off (right?) why not spend this year doing things to strengthen your application? Can you find a PM&R research project? Can you do "observerships" at various PM&R residency programs? Did you take the unpaid position because of visa issues? I'm not really seeing the point in doing the unpaid internship - it really doesn't strengthen your application. BUT, if you're stuck in it now, then ask for elective times. If you're not getting paid, you shouldn't have requirements, do you even have a contract?

Networking is fine - but you have to do something during the time between now and the application to improve your application. I'm sure one of the first thoughts the PDs will have is "what has this person done since the last failed attempt to match to improve his/her application?" Sure, persistence is good but you need a plan. I'm making a lot of assumptions here - correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, my Medical School is not Foreign, but accredited by the
AAMC. I have managed to get a significant increase on my GPA, since the last year. I have now a general GPA for the 4 years of around 3.00 Flat. I have already made some contacts with Mainland professors within the PM&R field and I feel CONFIDENT that one of them would be more than glad on writing a letter about my genuine interest in the field. I was able to carriy two US main electives during my fourth year in the PM&R field at very good institutions. I should hopefully have a published article about a research project in PM&R I carried out during my fourth year pretty soon I plan on applying to everydamn program on the mainland this year. I am not running any chances. Will you think this will help. I have score of mid 190's for Steps 1 and 2.... Will this be significant improvements from last year? I also plan on redoing my personal statement, among other things...

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of letters of recommendations, letters about your genuine interest in the field will not help you. (In general, the more personal the letters the better. Letters vouching for your genuine interest will not be very strong) Letters from your attendings during your electives at the "very good institutions" will help. How were your evaluations at those institutions? Did you get interviews at those places? Is there anyone at those institutions you could contact to see why you didn't match? Get some honest feedback about your application? There's an element of "chance" in the application process but just increasing the number of applications won't significantly increase your chances.

Your board scores aren't the greatest and there are some PDs who use cut off board scores. Your school may be AAMC accredited but I don't know if it would be considered "equal" to US schools.

Anyways, sounds like you have done some things to improve your application. The personal statement is also something you can improve upon. It may also be helpful to get some feedback on your interviewing skills.

Off the topic, but I wonder if PD's developed a good cutoff level for DO board scores or not. Some find it hard enough trying to compare USMLE to COMLEX scores as they are on pretty diff scales.