implications of failing CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepaholic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends just failed step II CS. He's actually pretty smart, and very good clinically. Overall he's probably an average applicant - US grad, average grades and step exam scores, a decent amount of research experience. He's applying to internal medicine right now. Does anyone have any experience with this situation and how it affects interview invitations and match ranking?
He's already got a handful of interviews, we're just wondering if he should stop bothering to check his email.
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

he already released his scores (before he got them back) - we really didn't think failure was even a possibility.

One of my friends just failed step II CS. He's actually pretty smart, and very good clinically. Overall he's probably an average applicant - US grad, average grades and step exam scores, a decent amount of research experience. He's applying to internal medicine right now. Does anyone have any experience with this situation and how it affects interview invitations and match ranking?
He's already got a handful of interviews, we're just wondering if he should stop bothering to check his email.
thanks!!

Most schools just use Step II CS as a barometer for graduation meaning that you need to have a passing score to graduate. Most of the residency programs that I know of, do not care about Step II CS unless it keeps you from graduating. Tell your friend to figure out what he did wrong, correct it and pass this nuisance of an exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took Step 2 CS and I am not sure how I did. To be honest, this test has nothing to do with one's ability to perform a physical exam, diagnose, or treat patients. You have 15 minutes to get a history and do a physical exam (some patients have multiple complaints involving every organ system). Some of the SP's are not the least bit helpful either. One guy I had would only answer with one word answers and if you asked him an open-ended question, he would ask "what do you mean?" You have to get in there, get to the point, and perform your exam quickly, and counsel the patient if needed. As far as the note goes, if you type, each section only allows for a certain number of characters. Hopefully, your patient doesn't have a lot of complaints. If so, you don't have room to type it all and time tends to run out quickly. If you decide to write your note, you had better not write large or you won't have the room to finish it. This exam definitely favors the fast typist and the person who is the most concise (not necessarily the most thorough) at performing a physical exam. I can see why even the best students would fail it. I have had multiple SP exams during med school and have been observed working with real patients on multiple occasions and have always been told that I did an excellent job. However, I walked out of that center the other day, wondering if I passed. I am sorry for your friend. Hopefully, he will be able to get several interviews and do well in the Match.