Implications of an immigrant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartman1998

Reaction score
I am hoping to matriculate at the ripe age of 31. I previously worked in big-tech. I came to the US for college at 18 and currently hold a green card.

Apart from my non-trad status, I think it is unusual for immigrants with paths like mine to pursue medicine in the US due to the length of training. I could have started medschool at 18 in my home country. Further, many US medical schools do not accept non-residents and oftentimes require that undergraduate coursework be completed in the US.

What are the implications of this? I'm going to start working on my essays and am trying to figure out how this should fit into my overall narrative.

Members don't see this ad.

How to fit that in depends on you , we can’t tell you how you should tell your story, you know ? But I am an immigrant, and I didn’t feel like it was a disadvantage

Reactions: 1 user
I am hoping to matriculate at the ripe age of 31. I previously worked in big-tech. I came to the US for college at 18 and currently hold a green card.

Apart from my non-trad status, I think it is unusual for immigrants with paths like mine to pursue medicine in the US due to the length of training. I could have started medschool at 18 in my home country. Further, many US medical schools do not accept non-residents and oftentimes require that undergraduate coursework be completed in the US.

What are the implications of this? I'm going to start working on my essays and am trying to figure out how this should fit into my overall narrative.
Do you have an american undergraduate and a green card? If so, you're no different than anyone in terms of the application process. The only thing about your background is how you spin it for purposes of admission (eg, thing you saw or did there inspired you to go into medicine)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... non-citizens have a more difficult admissions route, but as a green card permanent resident, your situation is better. Your personal journey however likely would interest schools where you meet their mission and community needs.

Pardon the pitch, but we work on this with the Becoming a Student Doctor course.

Last edited: