Implant placement experience in Prosthodontic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GQ1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you get the opportunity to place many implants in your program and do you plan on placing your own implants upon graduation or do you aim to get a referrals practice going with perios and OMFS?

beacause especially with the new guided surgery like teeth in an hour it seems the whole process is prosthodontically driven. check the link below - it seems everything is moving in prosthos direction.

www.nobelbiocare.com/global/en/ClinicalProcedures/ImmediateFunction/teeth_in_an_hour.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Everything is restoratively driven and as such, a few years ago it was made a part of accreditation for pros programs that the residents should learn to place implants.

Blue Tooth said:
Everything is restoratively driven and as such, a few years ago it was made a part of accreditation for pros programs that the residents should learn to place implants.

i think this is one of the reasons pros is becoming more competitive to get into. are you guys using several different systems or your department prefers you to use one company?

Members don't see this ad :)
No clue about what grad pros and grad perio use. I think they use multiple systems. As undergrads, we use the ITI system.

Hi all,
Some schools are developing programs (3-4 yr) in Implantology. Obviously not a recognized specialty. It seems to try and merge OMS and Pros. Anyone know about these programs? Loma Linda and Univ Boston have them. Thanks.

Midwestern Glendale does a good bit of Implant training. Not just the Restoring side, but placement as well. with the OMFS right behind me I placed a few implants in dental school and restored plenty. When placing them they discussed the pitfalls and things to avoid. Complications, and tx of such. All wrapped up in courses throughout. If not directly instructing about the tx's there are sources offered. It was pretty amazing, although no dental student can become comfortable with what specialty training (perio/OS/Pros) can teach you, but case selection is something we can learn. Knowing what cases to take on and which ones to bring in the "TEAM".

Reactions: 1 user
There is a growing movement in the academic prosthodontic community to include implant placement (plus/minus hard/soft tissue augmentation, IV sedation, peri-operative management, etc) in the formal prosthodontic curriculum. Recently, the CODA standards were changed to state that pros residents should graduate from their programs "competent" in implant placement. At the ACP meeting in Orlando last week there were multiple presentations on the value of perceiving dental implants as a prosthodontic component and not a surgical one. With this mindset, the argument is that the restorative dentist knows best where the implant should be and should therefore place it.

Different pros programs are implementing this differently. Some have already been placing implants while others are going to have to get up to speed. However, I warn you NOT to pick a pros residency for its implant experience. They're all going to have you placing some - but you do NOT need to place 200-300 in a pros residency. The whole point of the argument for prosthodontists to place implants is because we're trained in their restoration - if you spend your whole residency placing implants then you're losing out on restoration/planning/lab experiences and knowledge that make your placement better than referring out! Place a few, but if you want to do a lot of surgery then I would recommend going to a surgical residency...

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed on everything mackchops has said above.

We're in a program that was already placing implants, so the "new" requirements don't apply to us as much. But definitely interesting to see how the landscape will change.

As for the OP, we use multiple systems.. mainly Nobel, straumann, 3i, and Hiossen. My personal workhorse has been Nobel.

I do a good amount of guided surgery (when indicated), and lots of freehand as well. I now prefer to do most my full-arch restorations guided (whether it's for crown/bridge, hybrid, or even removable)