Immunology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bodom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would a chronic infection effect bone density?

I have a general idea I just wanted some other peoples input

Members don't see this ad.

With just that question, there are two possibilities and I would choose my answer based on the possible choices.

1. A chronic infection can often lead to kidney damage, which could lead to hypophosphatemia or hypocalcemia. Such as proximal convoluted tubule damage where calcium cannot be reabsorbed from the urine. Meanwhile parathyroid hormone is being released increasing osteoclast activity and demineralizing bone in an effort to elevate serum calcium levels.

(I should also add that it is possible to have liver damage or other damage in the kidney that decreases the body's ability to produce the active vit. D3/calcitriol, this would decrease Ca resorption)

2. A chronic infection (HIV or others) can lead to chronic wasting. With atrophy occurring in the muscles, a decreased load is being placed on the bones. Since bones are not static, (constantly remodeled due to hormones and stresses placed on them by the body's interaction with the environment) they would decrease in density.

This is the same reason weightlifting leads to increased bone density (increased load-bearing)

Last edited: