Immunizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emogrrrrl

I like my freedom
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else's program have a course in clinical immunizations and administration? They just started this with our class. By the end of the semester we will be certified student immunizers.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah we just took the "final" for the immunization certification... We are not going to be certified until jan, when we do our BCLS classes.

The final was open book however, not all of the answers were in the book. relatively frusterating...

good luck!

Our school requires that we all take the immunization course. The students play a big role in giving flu shots to the community each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
the first part of our pharmacy practice and experience class was on immunizations, we passed a test, practiced giving shots to each other and actually went out and immunized last week. Fun...

tanyas said:
the first part of our pharmacy practice and experience class was on immunizations, we passed a test, practiced giving shots to each other and actually went out and immunized last week. Fun...

Our final is in the beginning of december and we are required to give each other shots in order to become certified. I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive about sticking someone with a needle. We started with injecting oranges and are working our way up to the real thing. I think it's great that we have the opportunity to get certified.

wow, we injected oranges and each other on the same day, don't be too apprehensive, I was shaking while doing it for the first time, but not anymore

I'm nervous about injecting each other too since I have a slight fear of needles. I'm guessing once you give several that the fear goes away. Well, at least I hope so.

I was nervous too...
we never injected oranges.... we went straight to people :eek:

i was shaking and my partner WATCHED.... it was nerve racking...
i was so bad at it... it felt like the needle took like 5 mins to go in (not really but it felt really slow)
I would like to try again (i'm sure we do soon)
i believe i would be less nervous and better at it.

if people's partners didn't want to get a shot then our instructor would take it.... his arm was bruised horribly!!!!!
we also had someone hit bone this year too :eek:

During our practices, we all looked like heroin addicts at the end of the sessions. We didn't get oranges either.
One of my friends, who is an EMT, said that when they went through their training, someone cut an artery when trying to insert a peripheral. Ouch!!!

lord999 said:
During our practices, we all looked like heroin addicts at the end of the sessions.
We are talking about IM shots here, silly. :p You are going to scare people.

This fall I did an immunizations course where we used partners. Injecting an orange seems kind of silly.

When I took a practice lab in P1 we did injections IM, SQ, and intradermal. First we practiced on a plastic dummy, then on our partner or ourselves. We had no incidents. Well, except for a very funny one in which one of my friend's partners bled like crazy at the injection site. I told her that we had to send him to the ED since he was bleeding so profusely and she actually believed me. It is my duty to make her less gullible by the time we graduate.

Later this year we get to be "diabetic for a week". Whoopee!

bananaface said:
Later this year we get to be "diabetic for a week". Whoopee!

I took a class where we had to act like we were diabetic and go through all the wonderful things that go along with having diabetes, including carb counting, blood glucose checks multiple times a day after figuring out how to set/use a glucose meter, simulated medications they must take multiple times a day everyday (plus side is we got M&Ms as meds), glasses that simulate retinopathy, pretended we had a foot amputated, etc.

ForgetMeNot said:
I took a class where we had to act like we were diabetic and go through all the wonderful things that go along with having diabetes, including carb counting, blood glucose checks multiple times a day after figuring out how to set/use a glucose meter, simulated medications they must take multiple times a day everyday (plus side is we got M&Ms as meds), glasses that simulate retinopathy, pretended we had a foot amputated, etc.

That sounds like fun. Did you just hold your leg up and hop when you had your amputation?

Isn't Dr. Raney's class fun? We kind of made fun of her Dr. Pepper dieting habits at our class's last toast, but its a great alternative to suffering diabetes.

Oh, we did both IM and SQ inj., and I thought it was the screwed up IM's that did us in.

At least we didn't have to learn a Z-line injection.

we did im and sq as well... though some people did two IMs and we had some intradermal given as well...

i would have died if we did a z line

lord999 said:
At least we didn't have to learn a Z-line injection.
Do you mean a Z track? We learned that. It's easy. We didn't have to aspirate or anything though. How can a whole class get bruised with their IM injection? Did you all come down Epi-Pen style or something? Using dull 8 gauge needles? :eek: Did any other people have issues like this? I swear it's not normal...

bananaface said:
Do you mean a Z track? We learned that. It's easy. We didn't have to aspirate or anything though. How can a whole class get bruised with their IM injection? Did you all come down Epi-Pen style or something? Using dull 8 gauge needles? :eek: Did any other people have issues like this? I swear it's not normal...

lol come over here and i'll get someone to show you.....
not everyone here ended up bruised but as i have said before... someone did hit bone and our instructor was bruised pretty badly (esp on SQ)

lord999 said:
Isn't Dr. Raney's class fun? We kind of made fun of her Dr. Pepper dieting habits at our class's last toast, but its a great alternative to suffering diabetes.

Well, we've been missing out on her and Dr. Pepper. She cut the caffeine since she's expecting.