This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bguiloffs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a (soon to be) IMG and plan on applying for Ortho next year.
I'm trying to find out what are my chances (realistically) on getting a residency.
So far, things I've done that I think could help:
- Research in general surgery and ortho.
- Away rotation at very prestigious hospital (in the states - in ortho).
- LOR from attending at previous place.
- USMLE Step 1 240
- USMLE step 2 pending.

Considering these, what other things might I need to do to maximize my chances? Is there much more?
Does anyone here know of ortho residents that are IMGs?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a (soon to be) IMG and plan on applying for Ortho next year.
I'm trying to find out what are my chances (realistically) on getting a residency.
So far, things I've done that I think could help:
- Research in general surgery and ortho.
- Away rotation at very prestigious hospital (in the states - in ortho).
- LOR from attending at previous place.
- USMLE Step 1 240
- USMLE step 2 pending.

Considering these, what other things might I need to do to maximize my chances? Is there much more?
Does anyone here know of ortho residents that are IMGs?

Thank you all!
Your best move is to find a backup specialty. Your realistic chance of landing an ortho spot in the US is very close to zero. Honestly, if you recieved more than 1 or 2 interviews I'd be shocked. There will be a couple dozen US grads with applications very similar to yours who will go unmatched this year.

It's getting near impossible. I met I think 3 IMG/FMG people one the trail this year and honestly, I'm surprised anyone even got an interview at this point as it seems it's getting harder and harder every year. Basically your best bet would be to try to transfer to a US school instead of graduating. Outside of that, you'll likely be doing several years of research before anyone really entertains the idea of taking you.

Also, as alluded to above, your stats are solid for a regular field, but actually below average for Ortho now. There will likely be a good number of US grads with stats higher than that who won't match this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
May want to consider a research year or gen surg prelim at a program that lets you rotate in ortho to try to get some inside letters to match down the road.